win win problem

Apr 2010
dfsdfdf
Dear Sir,
I need help some help with the below problem and would appreciate very much if can offer some help.
thanks
Kingman

1) In a match, 2 teams (A and B) will play each other in the best of 3 games. That is, the final team to win 2 games will be the winner. In the first games, both teams have equal chance of winning. In subsequent games, the probability of team A winning team B given that team A won in the previous game is p and the probability of team A winning team B given that team A lost in the previous game is 1/3.

Find the value of p such that the team A has equal chances of winning and losing the competition.

Answer(2/3)

undefined

MHF Hall of Honor
Mar 2010
Chicago
Dear Sir,
I need help some help with the below problem and would appreciate very much if can offer some help.
thanks
Kingman

1) In a match, 2 teams (A and B) will play each other in the best of 3 games. That is, the final team to win 2 games will be the winner. In the first games, both teams have equal chance of winning. In subsequent games, the probability of team A winning team B given that team A won in the previous game is p and the probability of team A winning team B given that team A lost in the previous game is 1/3.

Find the value of p such that the team A has equal chances of winning and losing the competition.

Answer(2/3)
Have you tried this on your own? You can draw a decision tree, maybe known to you as a probability tree. You will need to write an equation and solve for p.

May 2010
The probability tree would give you all you need and you just start from the beginning and work your way down.

Apr 2010
dfsdfdf
this is exactly my difficulty lies

Dear oregon88,
Thanks very much for your reply. I have great difficulty in drawing my tree diagram.

Here is my difficulty:
A either win or lose and
B either win or lose but the question only mention winning: from here I am stuck !
How to draw the tree giving all the outcomes is my problem.
please help
thanks

http://www.mathhelpforum.com/math-help/members/oregon88.html

undefined

MHF Hall of Honor
Mar 2010
Chicago
Dear oregon88,
Thanks very much for your reply. I have great difficulty in drawing my tree diagram.

Here is my difficulty:
A either win or lose and
B either win or lose but the question only mention winning: from here I am stuck !
How to draw the tree giving all the outcomes is my problem.
please help
thanks
P(win) = 1 - P(lose)
P(lose) = 1 - P(win)

This is because the probabilities for all possible outcomes must always add up to 1. (As in, 100%)

Does that help?

Apr 2010
dfsdfdf
thanks,
I know this fact but still need to know how the tree diagram look which depicts the win and lose of both A and B.
This does not look like a typical tree diagram.
Please help!

undefined

MHF Hall of Honor
Mar 2010
Chicago
thanks,
I know this fact but still need to know how the tree diagram look which depicts the win and lose of both A and B.
This does not look like a typical tree diagram.
Please help!
Hmm, the diagram is typical enough if you ask me. I don't know if you're used to going up to down, but I generally go left to right. Attached. (It's kind of ugly since it's with MS Paint/mouse.) Overall win for A is marked in green, otherwise blue.

Attachments

Reactions: kingman