Vectors

Dec 2009

sry i but i really have no idea how to start the question... i have problems with both parts of the question as they are similar...

i am not asking u to spoonfeed me, perhaps u can solve the first part and let me solve the second part as they are similar ^^

thanks in advance

Jun 2009
Shift y from the present position to (2,1) and (4,3).

Complete the parallelogram. The resultant of x and y will be (1,4) and (4,3)

Parallel to this resultant from P is (0,5) and (3,4)

Reactions: Punch
Dec 2009
thanks! mind if i ask u for part ii how do i handle the fraction?

Grandad

MHF Hall of Honor
Dec 2008
South Coast of England
Movement (displacement) vectors

Hello Punch

From the diagram, we can see that \(\displaystyle \textbf{x}\) represents a movement which can be described as:
Move 1 unit to the right and 3 units down.
We can write this as
\(\displaystyle \textbf{x}=\binom{1}{-3}\)
Similarly \(\displaystyle \text{y}\) represents the movement:
Move 2 units to the right and 2 units up
or:
\(\displaystyle \textbf{y}=\binom{2}{2}\)
We add two movement (or displacement) vectors together using an ordinary \(\displaystyle +\) sign, by thinking of \(\displaystyle +\) as representing the phrase 'and then'. So \(\displaystyle \textbf{x} + \textbf{y}\) means
Move 1 unit to the right and 3 units down
and then
Move 2 units to the right and 2 units up
which is obviously equivalent to
Move 3 units to the right and 1 unit down
We sometimes write all of this as:
\(\displaystyle \textbf{x} + \textbf{y}=\binom{1}{-3} + \binom{2}{2}\)
\(\displaystyle = \binom{3}{-1}\)
Do you see how it works?

Now \(\displaystyle \vec{PR}\) stands for:
Move from \(\displaystyle P\) to \(\displaystyle R\)
So if \(\displaystyle \vec{PR}=\textbf{x} + \textbf{y}\) and we must start at the point \(\displaystyle P\; (0,5)\), and carry out the movement \(\displaystyle \binom{3}{-1}\). When we do this, we get to the point \(\displaystyle (3,4)\). So that's where \(\displaystyle R\) is: \(\displaystyle (3,4)\).

Now \(\displaystyle \frac32\textbf{y}\) is the same movement as \(\displaystyle \textbf y\), but multiplied by \(\displaystyle \frac32\). In other words:
\(\displaystyle \frac32\textbf{y}=\frac32\times\binom22\)
\(\displaystyle =\binom33\)
So:
\(\displaystyle \frac32\textbf{y}-\textbf x=\binom33 - \binom{1}{-3}\)
\(\displaystyle =\binom{2}{6}\) (Check this carefully!)
and this is the movement \(\displaystyle \vec{AB}\). So, to find the position of the point \(\displaystyle B\), start at \(\displaystyle A\) and carry out the movement \(\displaystyle \binom26\). Can you see that \(\displaystyle B\) is at \(\displaystyle (6,6)\)?

Grandad

Reactions: Punch
Dec 2009
HEY Grandad !!! Many THX !!!!!!!!!!! your workings are excellent as usual, i fully understood them and have never heard about this method before!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!