vectors

May 2010
Hello,

I'm having some trouble setting up this problem. I still can't figure out how to set up a diagram with bearings:

• A plane flies 4500 miles per hour (mph) along a bearing of 320°. The air is moving with a wind speed of 60 mph along a bearing of 190°. Find the plane's resultant velocity (in component form). Also, find the speed of the airplane as well as the actual bearing the plane is headed.

May 2010
I just need to know how to set up this problem. I'm fine with finding the resultant, speed and the bearing. I just added it so you knew what the question was exactly asking.

dwsmith

MHF Hall of Honor
Mar 2010
Florida
I just need to know how to set up this problem. I'm fine with finding the resultant, speed and the bearing. I just added it so you knew what the question was exactly asking.
Draw a compass. N=0, E=90, S=180, W=270

May 2010
Ues, I get that you draw a x and y axis but does the angle of the bearing go clockwise or counter-clockwise of the line?

dwsmith

MHF Hall of Honor
Mar 2010
Florida
Ues, I get that you draw a x and y axis but does the angle of the bearing go clockwise or counter-clockwise of the line?
Doesn't matter with your problem. When you start getting question like east of north 20 degrees, it will make a difference.