SOLVED Two consecutive numbers are relatively prime

dwsmith

MHF Hall of Honor
Mar 2010
Florida
Two consecutive numbers are relatively prime.

\(\displaystyle (n, n+1)=1\rightarrow \alpha n+\beta (n+1)=1\)

I am not sure what to do next to prove this.

[email protected]

MHF Hall of Honor
Sep 2008
Champaign, Illinois
Two consecutive numbers are relatively prime.

\(\displaystyle (n, n+1)=1\rightarrow \alpha n+\beta (n+1)=1\)

I am not sure what to do next to prove this.
\(\displaystyle \alpha=-1,\; \beta=1 \)

dwsmith

MHF Hall of Honor
Mar 2010
Florida
I see how that will justify the equality but is that ok to do for the proof and then just call it day and it is done?

[email protected]

MHF Hall of Honor
Sep 2008
Champaign, Illinois
I see how that will justify the equality but is that ok to do for the proof and then just call it day and it is done?
Let \(\displaystyle g=(n,n+1) \)

\(\displaystyle g\mid n \) and \(\displaystyle g\mid n+1 \implies g\mid (n+1)-n = 1 \implies g=\pm1 \). But since \(\displaystyle g>0 \), we get \(\displaystyle g=1 \).

Jun 2010
Israel
The answer is yes. In general: Let \(\displaystyle a\) and \(\displaystyle b\) be integers. There exists two integers \(\displaystyle x\) and \(\displaystyle y\) such that \(\displaystyle ax+by=1\) if and only if \(\displaystyle (a,b)=1\). In your case, \(\displaystyle a=n\), \(\displaystyle x=-1\) and \(\displaystyle b=n
+1\), \(\displaystyle y=1\).

However, the reply you got from "chiph588" using the greatest common divisor (\(\displaystyle g=(n,n+1)\)) seems to me more elegant.

[email protected]

MHF Hall of Honor
Sep 2008
Champaign, Illinois
The answer is yes. In general: Let \(\displaystyle a\) and \(\displaystyle b\) be integers. There exists two integers \(\displaystyle x\) and \(\displaystyle y\) such that \(\displaystyle ax+by=1\) if and only if \(\displaystyle (a,b)=1\). In your case, \(\displaystyle a=n\), \(\displaystyle x=-1\) and \(\displaystyle b=n
+1\), \(\displaystyle y=1\).
This is a special case of Bézout's identity.