This forum is for PRE-Calculus. READ BEFORE POSTING

Prove It

MHF Helper
Aug 2008
This has been debated at length already. The consensus is to leave the Calculus forum where it is. Other configurations, it seems, have more disadvantages than the current scheme. This thread is not the place to re-open this debate.
I meant in addition to the link in the University subforum. An extra link would remove all confusion.

Jun 2011
I meant in addition to the link in the University subforum. An extra link would remove all confusion.
A link to the same Calculus forum from both "University MH" and "Pre-University MH" would surely be wise.

Equally, what is the situation regarding University Pre-calculus? Presumably there is some course at some university somewhere where the students study "Pre-Calculus" topics such as co-ordinate geometry, natural logs, etc.?

The forums should probably be arranged by topic rather than by place of study at all, but I find it unlikely that the entire website is going to be changed.

So perhaps we should just quit whinging and follow the mods' intructions?
Having finished my Maths' studies at school today I hope to never need to be here again anyway!

Sep 2011
I think it's confusing too, "After trig but before calc"... even as an American.

In my school, after one completes AlgebraI, AlgebraII, and Geometry, he will go into the more advanced maths, obviously.

If he chooses to take the "calculus root", he will spend a fall semester learning "Advanced Algebra and Analytic Geometry" (usu. abbreviated to AGAAA) and one semester of "Trigonometry". As soon as he gets back to school in the fall, he will take Calculus. There's nothing in between. :)

mr fantastic

MHF Hall of Fame
Dec 2007
Zeitgeist
I think it's confusing too, "After trig but before calc"... even as an American.

In my school, after one completes AlgebraI, AlgebraII, and Geometry, he will go into the more advanced maths, obviously.

If he chooses to take the "calculus root", he will spend a fall semester learning "Advanced Algebra and Analytic Geometry" (usu. abbreviated to AGAAA) and one semester of "Trigonometry". As soon as he gets back to school in the fall, he will take Calculus. There's nothing in between. :)
There is an echo in this thread .....

Mr Fantastic earlier in this thread said:
Read the last sentance of post #12.

Personally, I believe that the more thought someone has to give their post, albeit what subforum to post it in, the better.

Sep 2011
is calculus just differentiation and integration?

mr fantastic

MHF Hall of Fame
Dec 2007
Zeitgeist
is calculus just differentiation and integration?
Mainly.

There are a few other things that are appropriate for the Calculus subforum, as can be seen by reviewing the threads in it. If in doubt, Report the post to a Moderator.