This forum is for PRE-Calculus. READ BEFORE POSTING

Nov 2009
Windsor, South-East England
Which is correct for the following?

-Series/Proofs
-Complex Numbers
-Polar Co-ordinates

I tend to just stick with pre-algebra and algebra. I don't really understand what belongs in this forum. With the english education system, "after trig but before calc" means nothing at all. We don't learn things in that order. Is that even what it's referring to? I've never really understood it. I'm probably being naive; it could be an international thing, but it's that which confuses me. I don't see what it defined as being "after trig", for example.

mr fantastic

MHF Hall of Fame
Dec 2007
Zeitgeist
Which is correct for the following?

-Series/Proofs
-Complex Numbers
-Polar Co-ordinates

I tend to just stick with pre-algebra and algebra. I don't really understand what belongs in this forum. With the english education system, "after trig but before calc" means nothing at all. We don't learn things in that order. Is that even what it's referring to? I've never really understood it. I'm probably being naive; it could be an international thing, but it's that which confuses me. I don't see what it defined as being "after trig", for example.
It will depend on the context but probably the following:

-Series/Proofs in Calculus.

-Complex Numbers in Pre-calculus

-Polar Co-ordinates in Pre-calculus.

If you have doubts, report your post to a Moderator using the Report Post tool and say you're not sure.

HallsofIvy

MHF Helper
Apr 2005
If it's calculus, it goes in the Calculus subforum. Even if a student is learning calculus in kindergarten and needs help with a question, the question gets posted in the Calculus subforum.
Oh, Gosh! Now, I am going to stay awake all night thinking about kids taking Calculus in kindergarten! How will I ever compete with them?

Reactions: TheChaz

mr fantastic

MHF Hall of Fame
Dec 2007
Zeitgeist
Oh, Gosh! Now, I am going to stay awake all night thinking about kids taking Calculus in kindergarten! How will I ever compete with them?
You mean .... you didn't ....?! (Darn American education system).

Jun 2011
I'm afraid I'd have to agree that it's confusing for new-comers like me, especially an English one because there is no concept of "before calcuuls and after trig" in the UK as has already been said. Neither is there such a thing as a "Calculus class" a "Pre-calculus class" or any class other than "Maths" (plural, of course!) Or if you're lucky "Pure Maths" and "Applied Maths" or "Stats" or "Mechs" or "Decision"

And I'll also agree that even as a pupil with only 5 days left of school before Uni, posting in the University forum would be far too scary.
Surely there could be a Calculus section for school?

Last edited by a moderator:

mr fantastic

MHF Hall of Fame
Dec 2007
Zeitgeist
I now realise that I posted my previous question in the wrong place. I'm afraid I'd have to agree that it's confusing for new-comers like me, especially an English one because there is no concept of "before calcuuls and after trig" in the UK as has already been said. Neither is there such a thing as a "Calculus class" a "Pre-calculus class" or any class other than "Maths" (plural, of course!) Or if you're lucky "Pure Maths" and "Applied Maths" or "Stats" or "Mechs" or "Decision"

And I'll also agree that even as a pupil with only 5 days left of school before Uni, posting in the University forum would be far too scary.
Read the last sentance of post #12.

Personally, I believe that the more thought someone has to give their post, albeit what subforum to post it in, the better.

mr fantastic

MHF Hall of Fame
Dec 2007
Zeitgeist
I'm afraid I'd have to agree that it's confusing for new-comers like me, especially an English one because there is no concept of "before calcuuls and after trig" in the UK as has already been said. Neither is there such a thing as a "Calculus class" a "Pre-calculus class" or any class other than "Maths" (plural, of course!) Or if you're lucky "Pure Maths" and "Applied Maths" or "Stats" or "Mechs" or "Decision"

1. Reading the stickies at the Calculus and Pre-calculus subforums before postinga question there will usually help clarify the situation.

2. It should be obvious that differentiation is a calculus concept not a PRE-calculus concept. There should be no confusion at all on that issue (although I admit that it does assume people know that the prefix 'PRE' means 'before'. A reasonable assumption, I would think.)

Drexel28

MHF Hall of Honor
Nov 2009
Berkeley, California
Just to put in my two cents, the precalculus class in my high school taught Riemann sums and the difference quotient--people won't know that's calculus and being in a precalc class are naturally going to post it here.

Prove It

MHF Helper
Aug 2008
I still don't see why there can't be a link to the Calculus forum in both the "Pre-University" and "University" sub-forums.

Reactions: SpringFan25

Ackbeet

MHF Hall of Honor
Jun 2010
CT, USA
I still don't see why there can't be a link to the Calculus forum in both the "Pre-University" and "University" sub-forums.
This has been debated at length already. The consensus is to leave the Calculus forum where it is. Other configurations, it seems, have more disadvantages than the current scheme. This thread is not the place to re-open this debate.