Theoretical Coordinate Geometry

Jan 2009
Okay, I came across this question in an old mock paper. The problem is that I couldn't do it and neither could my teacher. Any help would be appreciated.

The line y=2kx cuts the curve \(\displaystyle y=x^2-4x+1\) at the points a and b. Without finding the co-ordinates of a and b, find, in terms of k, the midpoint of [ab].

Now I tried putting \(\displaystyle 2kx=x^2-4x+1\)
and this worked down to \(\displaystyle x=2+k \pm \sqrt[2]{k^2+4k+3}\)
But I feel that would be finding the co-ordinates of a and b.
Again, any help would be appreciated.

Oct 2009
Opinion

Without knowing what a and b are, how can you determine what the midpoint is?

Jan 2009
That's what I was wondering. Maybe there's some relationship between the midpoint and the axis of the curve...

masters

MHF Helper
Jan 2008
Big Stone Gap, Virginia
Okay, I came across this question in an old mock paper. The problem is that I couldn't do it and neither could my teacher. Any help would be appreciated.

The line y=2kx cuts the curve \(\displaystyle y=x^2-4x+1\) at the points a and b. Without finding the co-ordinates of a and b, find, in terms of k, the midpoint of [ab].

Hi FreeT,

It would seem that you are on the right track.

Once you have found the coordinates of a and b in terms of k,
you can then determine the midpoint of ab.

\(\displaystyle a(x_1, y_1)\) and \(\displaystyle b(x_2, y_2)\)

Midpoint of ab = \(\displaystyle \left(\frac{x_1+x_2}{2}, \frac{y_1+y_2}{2}\right)\)

Plato

MHF Helper
Aug 2006
Solve the equation \(\displaystyle x^2-4x+1=2kx\) for \(\displaystyle x\) in terms of \(\displaystyle k\).
That will give the \(\displaystyle x\)-coordinates of \(\displaystyle a~\&~b\) in terms of \(\displaystyle k\).
Use the equation \(\displaystyle y=2kx\) to find the \(\displaystyle y\)-coordinates of \(\displaystyle a~\&~b\) in terms of \(\displaystyle k\).
The midpoints are just the averages.

awkward

MHF Hall of Honor
Mar 2008

The tricky point is avoiding actually solving the equation. Here is one way.

By substitution,
\(\displaystyle 2kx = x^2 - 4x +1\)
so
\(\displaystyle x^2 - (4+2k)x + 1 = 0\)

If a and b are the roots of this equation, then their sum must be the negative of the coefficient of x, i.e.
\(\displaystyle a+b = 4+2k\).

From here you can find \(\displaystyle \frac{a+b}{2}\) and the associated value of y.

Last edited:
Reactions: FreeT