technical information for using LaTeX

Oct 2012
israel
Hi
I really like to help in this forum,but i am stuck with the latex.when i type it remains as i type it and does not convert to mathematical expressions.I need help in entering a code .can someone tell me exactly what to do in order to use latex?
i am a real ignorant in latex so i need all the technical information.i already have the simbols but can't practice because the technical issue.
Thank's in advance.

Dec 2011
St. Augustine, FL.
Are you enclosing your code with the TEX tags?

without tags: \sqrt{\frac{x}{y}}

with tags: \(\displaystyle \sqrt{\frac{x}{y}}\)

Oct 2012
israel
\sqrt{\frac{x}{y}}
it does not convert to mathematical symbols
sorry for the deep ignorance.

Plato

MHF Helper
Aug 2006
\sqrt{\frac{x}{y}}
it does not convert to mathematical symbols
sorry for the deep ignorance.
If you click the "reply with quote" or the "go advanced" you should see a \(\displaystyle \Sigma\) on the toolbar. Click that tab. You will see [noparse][/noparse] appear. Type the Latex code between them. Or else, highlight the code and then click the \(\displaystyle \Sigma\)

So [noparse]\(\displaystyle \sqrt{\frac{x}{y}}\)[/noparse] gives \(\displaystyle \sqrt{\frac{x}{y}}\)

Oct 2012
israel
\(\displaystyle \frac{2+sqrt{x^2+3}}{3x+2}-{x-2}\)
If you click the "reply with quote" or the "go advanced" you should see a \(\displaystyle \Sigma\) on the toolbar. Click that tab. You will see [noparse][/noparse] appear. Type the Latex code between them. Or else, highlight the code and then click the \(\displaystyle \Sigma\)

So [noparse]\(\displaystyle \sqrt{\frac{x}{y}}\)[/noparse] gives \(\displaystyle \sqrt{\frac{x}{y}}\)

Oct 2012
israel
Thank's a lot.
How can i practicr?do i have to download something?

Dec 2011
St. Augustine, FL.
There's nothing to download.

To practice, use the preview function without submitting the post. The best practice is to just dive in and begin using it.