Systems of PDE help please

Mar 2010
This question is from my Exterior Differential System course. I have not seen a question that concerned a system so I do not know anyway of attacking it as of yet. Any help appreciated. Thanks !

Attachments

Ackbeet

MHF Hall of Honor
Jun 2010
CT, USA
The first line of attack on any pde is separation of variables. This system is unusual in that it is nonlinear, and yet yields separable solutions. Dym's equation is the only other nonlinear pde I know of that does that. If I were you, I would carry out a separation of variables procedure on this system and see what you get.

Question: what is the characteristic space of a system of pde's?

Jester

MHF Helper
Dec 2008
Conway AR
I don't know about anybody else but I can't see this attachment.

Mar 2010
I'm not sure what the characteristic space is for a system of PDE's. All I know is that if it is indeed one dimensional, then there exist a solution (which may not be unique). Thise course is a killer =s

Ackbeet

MHF Hall of Honor
Jun 2010
CT, USA
You might try looking up the term in your textbook's index (or, if you don't have a required text, ask your professor where to find a definition of that term).

As for the solution, like I said, go for a separable solution. That is, assume that

\(\displaystyle u(x,y)=X(x)Y(y)\).

Plug this into your system, and you should be able to get all the x's to one side, and the y's to the other, in both original equations. From that, you can deduce that each of the sides is constant. Use that to convert into 4 ODE's.

Mar 2010
OK I asked the professor, what I'm meant to do is rewrite the equations as a system of first order PDE's. Problem now is what change of variables will I use?

Jester

MHF Helper
Dec 2008
Conway AR
If you set \(\displaystyle u_x = v\) and \(\displaystyle u_y = w\) then you have

\(\displaystyle w_x -v_y = 0\)

\(\displaystyle v_x + \frac{1}{3}v_y^3 = 0\)

\(\displaystyle w_x w_y = 1\).

Notice that they also de-couple.

Jester

MHF Helper
Dec 2008
Conway AR
@ the op. Are you interested in actually solving this problem with an exact solution. If so, I believe that I can do this for you.

Mar 2010
Yes that is my main goal given the initial data. It would be great if you showed me how ! Thanks for the help !