Solving the transfer function

Jul 2010
Hi all,

I have been trying to solve the follow question but with no success. Anyone has idea on finding H(s)?

TransferFunction_1.jpg

In one special case, the equation can be written as follow but again I have no clue on solving it.

TransferFunction_3.jpg

Anyone has any idea? (Thinking)

Thanks,
cfy30

Attachments

Ackbeet

MHF Hall of Honor
Jun 2010
CT, USA
If you know that x(t) is differentiable, then I would differentiate the whole thing, take the Laplace Transform, and solve for Y/X. Is anything preventing you from doing that?

Jul 2010
I am not sure I get your idea. I still can't figure Y(s)/X(s) after differentiation.

Diff.jpg

(Crying)

cfy30

Ackbeet

MHF Hall of Honor
Jun 2010
CT, USA
Yeah, I see what you mean. This is a doozy of a problem. Is this a textbook problem? If so, there's probably some trick you're supposed to see in order to solve it. I tried doing the Laplace Transform directly, and then fiddling around with interchanging the order of integration. You can get some interesting equations that way, but not towards getting the final ratio desired. And you can try tricks with integration by parts, but that ends up doing the same thing as interchanging the order of integration. One thought that did occur to me was this: convolution. If you were to focus only on the LT of the integral term with the x(t) multiplying it, I wonder if you couldn't use the convolution theorem to help you out there. It'd be worth trying, because then you might get something like this:

\(\displaystyle Y(s)=X(s)-A\,X(s)Y(s)\times\,\text{something}.\)

Perhaps you could work with pulling the x(t) inside the integral, and doing a change of variable.

Jul 2010
The figure attached shows the system I am trying to model with the equation.

system.jpg

It is a feedback system to suppress x(t) at the node y(t). The system itself is quite simple but the transfer function is giving me headache. What I want to do is formulating H(s) and then determine the optimum A if the optimum A exists......

cfy30

Ackbeet

MHF Hall of Honor
Jun 2010
CT, USA
Are you sure you've written down your integral equation correctly? Where's the z(t) in it?

Jul 2010
I am sure the equation I have is correct. z(t) is the "wanted" signal and x(t) is the interference that needs to be canceled. When the system starts to run, x(t) will be suppressed, leaving z(t) as the output y(t). Imagine z(t) is cos(2*pi*200*t) and x(t) is cos(2*pi*50*t). y(t) contains cos(2*pi*200*t) only and is free of cos(2*pi*50*t).

cfy30

CaptainBlack

MHF Hall of Fame
Nov 2005
erehwon
Your first system is not linear, so does not have a transfer function.

CB

Reactions: Ackbeet
Jul 2010
Why the system is not linear?

I think the system is linear but time variant.

cfy30

Jul 2010
Let me take time variant back. I believe the system is also time invariant...