[SOLVED] Linear transformations

Bruno J.

MHF Hall of Honor
Jun 2009
Canada
Show that every linear transformation \(\displaystyle T:\mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n\) is the sum of two invertible linear transformations \(\displaystyle T_1, T_2\).

NonCommAlg

MHF Hall of Honor
May 2008
Show that every linear transformation \(\displaystyle T:\mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^n\) is the sum of two invertible linear transformations \(\displaystyle T_1, T_2\).
that is actually true for any field \(\displaystyle F\) with \(\displaystyle \text{card}(F) \geq n+2.\) let \(\displaystyle A\) be the matrix of \(\displaystyle T\) in the standard basis. let \(\displaystyle I\) be the \(\displaystyle n \times n\) identity matrix and \(\displaystyle f(x)=\det(A-xI) \in \mathbb{R}[x],\) which is a polynomial

of degree \(\displaystyle n\) and so it has (at most) \(\displaystyle n\) roots in \(\displaystyle \mathbb{R}.\) choose \(\displaystyle 0 \neq \lambda \in \mathbb{R}\) such that \(\displaystyle f(\lambda) \neq 0.\) then \(\displaystyle B=A-\lambda I\) is invertible and \(\displaystyle A=\lambda I + B.\)

Last edited:

Bruno J.

MHF Hall of Honor
Jun 2009
Canada
Good! Minced meat for NCA! (Nod)

Here's a topological proof I found. It's much less direct but maybe the idea can be used elsewhere! Let's equip \(\displaystyle M=\mathbb{R}_{n\times n}\) with the Euclidean metric. Note that \(\displaystyle G=\mbox{GL}_n(\mathbb{R})\) is dense in \(\displaystyle M\). Let \(\displaystyle F=M-G\). Note that \(\displaystyle F\) is not dense in \(\displaystyle M\).

If \(\displaystyle T\) is invertible, then the theorem is trivial with \(\displaystyle T_1=T_2=T/2\).

Therefore suppose \(\displaystyle T \in F\). Let \(\displaystyle U=G+T=\{f+T : f\in G\}\). It's clear that \(\displaystyle U\) is dense in \(\displaystyle M\) since \(\displaystyle G\) is dense in \(\displaystyle M\). If \(\displaystyle U\subset F\), then \(\displaystyle M = \overline U \subset \overline F\) and therefore \(\displaystyle F\) is dense in \(\displaystyle M\) which is false. Therefore \(\displaystyle U \cap G \not=\emptyset \). \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \square\)

Last edited:

Drexel28

MHF Hall of Honor
Nov 2009
Berkeley, California
Good! Minced meat for NCA! (Nod)

Here's a topological proof I found. It's much less direct but maybe the idea can be used elsewhere! Let's equip \(\displaystyle M=\mathbb{R}_{n\times n}\) with the Euclidean metric. Note that \(\displaystyle G=\mbox{GL}_n(\mathbb{R})\) is dense in \(\displaystyle M\). Let \(\displaystyle F=M-G\). Note that \(\displaystyle F\) is not dense in \(\displaystyle M\).

If \(\displaystyle T\) is invertible, then the theorem is trivial with \(\displaystyle T_1=T_2=T/2\).

Therefore suppose \(\displaystyle T \in F\). Let \(\displaystyle U=G+T=\{f+T : f\in G\}\). It's clear that \(\displaystyle U\) is dense in \(\displaystyle M\) since \(\displaystyle G\) is dense in \(\displaystyle M\). If \(\displaystyle U\subset F\), then \(\displaystyle M = \overline U \subset \overline F \subset M\) and therefore \(\displaystyle F\) is dense in \(\displaystyle M\) which is false. Therefore \(\displaystyle U \cap G \not=\emptyset \). \(\displaystyle \ \ \ \ \ \square\)
So, I'm not super knowledgeable about this kind of stuff, but isn't \(\displaystyle M_{n\times n}\approx\mathbb{R}^{n^2}\) and thus connected and aren't \(\displaystyle U,G\) open and their union is \(\displaystyle M_{n\times n}\) and so if they were disjoint this would contradict the assumption that \(\displaystyle M_{n\times n}\) is connected?

Bruno J.

MHF Hall of Honor
Jun 2009
Canada
So, I'm not super knowledgeable about this kind of stuff, but isn't \(\displaystyle M_{n\times n}\approx\mathbb{R}^{n^2}\) and thus connected and aren't \(\displaystyle U,G\) open and their union is \(\displaystyle M_{n\times n}\) and so if they were disjoint this would contradict the assumption that \(\displaystyle M_{n\times n}\) is connected?
It's not true that \(\displaystyle M=U \cup G\) necessarily. For instance if \(\displaystyle T=0\) then \(\displaystyle U=G\), but \(\displaystyle M \neq G\).

Drexel28

MHF Hall of Honor
Nov 2009
Berkeley, California
It's not true that \(\displaystyle M=U \cup G\) necessarily. For instance if \(\displaystyle T=0\) then \(\displaystyle U=G\), but \(\displaystyle M \neq G\).
Well, what is \(\displaystyle U\cup G\)? Anything of importance? I feel like a connectedness argument should work here. I know that \(\displaystyle G\)'s not connected? I'm grasping for straws and not really putting effort into this. Ignore me if you want.

Bruno J.

MHF Hall of Honor
Jun 2009
Canada
Well, what is \(\displaystyle U\cup G\)? Anything of importance? I feel like a connectedness argument should work here. I know that \(\displaystyle G\)'s not connected? I'm grasping for straws and not really putting effort into this. Ignore me if you want.
You are right about \(\displaystyle G\) not being connected!

Drexel28

MHF Hall of Honor
Nov 2009
Berkeley, California
You are right about \(\displaystyle G\) not being connected!
Haha, I know. \(\displaystyle G=\text{det}^{-1}((-\infty,0))\cup\text{det}^{-1}((0,\infty))\)