Solve this ordinary differential equation if you can

Apr 2015
Cyprus
Hi everyone!

Can you please help me solve this ordinary differential equation in the attachment below?

Thank you.

Attachments

SlipEternal

MHF Helper
Nov 2010
This is a separable ODE.

$\dfrac{y^2-b^2}{y^2+b^2}dy = -\dfrac{x^2+a^2}{x^2-a^2}dx$

$y-b\arctan\left(\dfrac{y}{b}\right) = -x-2\int\left(\dfrac{a^2}{x^2-a^2}\right)dx = -x-2a\text{tanh}^{-1}\left(\dfrac{x}{a}\right)+C$

The final integral can be split up using Partial Fractions if you do not like inverse hyperbolic functions.

Reactions: 2 people
Apr 2015
Cyprus
IMG_3050.JPGIMG_3051.jpgIMG_3052.JPG

I have some of these problems that i am finding hard to solve. can you please provide me the solutions of them?

Thank you.

Walagaster

MHF Helper
Apr 2018
Tempe, AZ
Edit: Dang! I just noticed how old this thread was. Never mind.

We aren't here to do your homework for you. But I do have some suggestions for you:
1. Don't post sideways images.
2. Don't post images anyway. Type them. That way we can edit your work with suggestions or corrections.
3. Post each problem in a separate thread, showing what you have tried. Do you seriously think anyone is going to post solutions to 30 problems for you?

Reactions: 1 person
Sep 2011
Mumbai (Bombay),Maharashtra State,India
This is a separable ODE.

$\dfrac{y^2-b^2}{y^2+b^2}dy = -\dfrac{x^2+a^2}{x^2-a^2}dx$

$y-b\arctan\left(\dfrac{y}{b}\right) = -x-2\int\left(\dfrac{a^2}{x^2-a^2}\right)dx = -x-2a\text{tanh}^{-1}\left(\dfrac{x}{a}\right)+C$

The final integral can be split up using Partial Fractions if you do not like inverse hyperbolic functions.
Hello,
I got the answer from my integral calculator $-2b\arctan{(\frac{y}{b})}+y+C$=$-a\ln{(|a-x|)}+a\ln{(|a+x|)}-x+C$

What is the difference between your answer and my answer?