Simple Calculus Question

Mar 2010
Ireland
Hi there,

There is no forum for basic calculus, so I will have to post in the university-level forum. I have been trying to refresh my maths for the last few months (I had forgotten everything, right down to how to do long division.) and I feel as if I have been making good progress.

I have a question about a very simple differentiation exercise:

Using the formula

\(\displaystyle f'(x) = \displaystyle\lim_{\delta x \to 0} \frac{f(x + \delta x) -f(x)}{\delta x}\)

find the derivative of \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{x^2}\)

Here is my attempt at a solution:

\(\displaystyle f(x + \delta x) = \frac{1}{(x + \delta x)^2}\)

\(\displaystyle f(x + \delta x) - f(x) = \frac{1}{x^2 + 2x \delta x + (\delta x)^2} - \frac{1}{x^2}\)

\(\displaystyle = \frac{x^2 - (x^2 + 2x \delta x + (\delta x)^2)}{(x^2 + 2x \delta x + (\delta x)^2)x^2}\)

\(\displaystyle = \frac{\delta x(- \delta x -2x)}{x^4 + 2x^3 \delta x + x^2(\delta x)^2}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{f(x + \delta x) - f(x)}{\delta x} = \frac{\delta x(- \delta x - 2x)}{x^4 + 2x^3 \delta x + x^2(\delta x)^2} \times \frac{1}{\delta x}\)

\(\displaystyle = \frac{-2x - \delta x}{x^4 + 2x^3 \delta x + x^2(\delta x)^2}\)

\(\displaystyle f'(x) = \displaystyle\lim_{\delta x \to 0} \frac{-2x - \delta x}{x^4 + 2x^3 \delta x + x^2(\delta x)^2}\)

\(\displaystyle = \frac{-2x}{x^4}\)

\(\displaystyle = \frac{-2}{x^3}\)

It would be great if someone would tell me where I am going wrong.

Regards,

Evanator

Last edited:
Reactions: mr fantastic
May 2009
New Delhi
Hi there,

There is no forum for basic calculus, so I will have to post in the university-level forum. I have been trying to refresh my maths for the last few months (I had forgotten everything, right down to how to do long division.) and I feel as if I have been making good progress.

I have a question about a very simple differentiation exercise:

Using the formula

\(\displaystyle f'(x) = \displaystyle\lim_{\delta x \to 0} \frac{f(x + \delta x) -f(x)}{\delta x}\)

find the derivative of \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{x^2}\)

Here is my attempt at a solution:

\(\displaystyle f(x + \delta x) = \frac{1}{(x + \delta x)^2}\)

\(\displaystyle f(x + \delta x) - f(x) = \frac{1}{x^2 + 2 \delta x + (\delta x)^2} - \frac{1}{x^2}\)

you forgot x in second step ,
\(\displaystyle f(x + \delta x) - f(x) = \frac{1}{x^2 + 2x \delta x + (\delta x)^2} - \frac{1}{x^2}\)

now continue....

Reactions: evanator

mr fantastic

MHF Hall of Fame
Dec 2007
Zeitgeist
Hi there,

There is no forum for basic calculus, so I will have to post in the university-level forum.

[snip]
Well done. Thankyou. Someone with some basic common sense. And you even showed your work. (Clapping)

Mar 2010
Ireland
I amended the first post. It all comes out now. Thanks for the help, ramiee2010. It is much appreciated.
What are you referring to, mr fantastic?

Prove It

MHF Helper
Aug 2008
I amended the first post. It all comes out now. Thanks for the help, ramiee2010. It is much appreciated.
What are you referring to, mr fantastic?
He's saying a lot of people post calculus questions in the pre-calculus forum just because they happen to be in high school and not university.

And he's also giving you praise for showing your working, as a lot of people also just post a question and beg for others to do the work for them.

Reactions: mr fantastic