Several algebra questions regarding factorisation

Jun 2010
A very good day to all.
I have several questions all relating to algebra, and I will be very thankful if you can help me solve them. Please also show your workings clearly so that I may understand wholly. I am sorry if these questions take a lot a time.

Factorise the following:

1.\(\displaystyle (x + y)(a + b) - (y + z)(a + b)\)

2. \(\displaystyle (2x + y)^2 -3(2x + y)\)

3. \(\displaystyle 5(m - 2n) - (m -2n)^2\)

4. \(\displaystyle p^2 -9q^2 +6qr -r^2\)

5. \(\displaystyle 4a^2 -b^2 -2bc -c^2\)

Chris L T521

MHF Hall of Fame
May 2008
Chicago, IL
A very good day to all.
I have several questions all relating to algebra, and I will be very thankful if you can help me solve them. Please also show your workings clearly so that I may understand wholly. I am sorry if these questions take a lot a time.

Factorise the following:

1.\(\displaystyle (x + y)(a + b) - (y + z)(a + b)\)
Observe that \(\displaystyle (a+b)\) is the common factor. So \(\displaystyle (x+y)(a+b)-(y+z)(a+b)=(a+b)(\ldots)\)

2. \(\displaystyle (2x + y)^2 -3(2x + y)\)
Observe that \(\displaystyle (2x+y)\) is the common factor. So \(\displaystyle (2x+y)^2-3(2x+y)=(2x+y)(\ldots)\)

3. \(\displaystyle 5(m - 2n) - (m -2n)^2\)
Observe that \(\displaystyle (m-2n)\) is the common factor. So \(\displaystyle 5(m-2n)-(m-2n)^2=(m-2n)(\ldots)\)

4. \(\displaystyle p^2 -9q^2 +6qr -r^2\)
This one is slightly more complicated. First observe that \(\displaystyle p^2-9q^2+6rq-r^2=p^2-(9q^2-6qr+r^2)\).

Now, \(\displaystyle 9q^2-6qr+r^2=(3q-r)^2\). So now we are left with \(\displaystyle p^2-(3q-r)^2\), which can be factored using the difference of squares formula.

5. \(\displaystyle 4a^2 -b^2 -2bc -c^2\)
This is similar to #4. Observe that \(\displaystyle 4a^2-b^2-2bc-c^2=(2a)^2-(b^2+2bc+c^2)\).

Now, \(\displaystyle b^2+2bc+c^2=(b+c)^2\). So now we are left with \(\displaystyle (2a)^2-(b+c)^2\), which can be factored using the difference of squares formula.

Does this make sense? Can you try these problems now?

Jun 2010
Thank you so much for your help Chris!

However, I still could not work out questions 1, 2 and 3 myself. I know the common factors but I am not sure about the other terms.

Also, I would appreciate if you could verify my answers for question 4 and 5.
The answer for question 4 might be---

\(\displaystyle p^2 -(3q -r)^2 \)
\(\displaystyle =[p^2 +(3q-r)][p^2 -(3q -r)]\)
\(\displaystyle =(p^2 +3q -r)(p^2 -3q +r)\)

Whereas for question 5---

\(\displaystyle (2a)^2 -(b+c)^2\)
\(\displaystyle =[2a +(b+c)][2a -(b +c)\)
\(\displaystyle = (2a +b +c)(2a -b -c)\)

Is my answers and workings correct?

Jul 2010
However, I still could not work out questions 1, 2 and 3 myself. I know the common factors but I am not sure about the other terms.

\(\displaystyle (a+b)(x+y-y-z)=(a+b)(x-z)\)

\(\displaystyle (2x+y)^2-3(2x+y)=(2x+y)(2x+y)-3(2x+y)=(2x+y)(2x+y-3)\)

same as second :D
\(\displaystyle (m-2n)(5-m+2n)\)