Second year essay - theory of gaming and gambling

Dec 2009
Hi there, i'm in the second year of my maths degree and need to write an essay. i was thinking of doing it on 'The theory of gaming and gambling', with some game theory, stats and probability involved in blackjack, poker, roulette, sports bets etc.

i was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for topics i could do under that title that are of an advanced level? maybe mathematics behind chess computers, stuff like that..

Last edited:
Aug 2009
Hi there, i'm in the second year of my maths degree and need to write an essay. i was thinking of doing it on 'The theory of gaming and gambling', with some game theory, stats and probability involved in blackjack, poker, roulette, sports bets etc.

i was wondering if anyone had any good ideas for topics i could do under that title that are of an advanced level? maybe mathematics behind chess computers, stuff like that..
Martingales and random walks will be sufficient to make an interesting essay. Most gambling can be modeled by a random walk with absorbing boundaries. Martingales also were first introduced due to the betting system.

The mathematics behind chess programs do not relate to probability (as far as I know).

Reactions: Korg
Dec 2009
thanks for that, i'll look into those