Resources for complex numbers

Nov 2009
Hello, Cyf here.

I'm attempting to learn about complex numbers and I was wondering if anyone had any resources? I've gotten as far a complx conjugates because I have no idea what they are and I've also been given this diagram which I don't understand. Could anyone explain it to me and explain what is arg(z)?

I don't differentiate between books or sites, as long as either are clear, simple and for the amateur (self-studying, never done this before)

Any help greatly appreciated.

~Cyf

Edit: I forgot to ask, what does a triple dash mean? Like an equals sign but with one more hyphon in it.

Edit: Sorry for forgetting the diagram. Here it is:

Last edited:
Oct 2009
Complex conjugates

a + ib and a - ib are complex conjugates (their product is a^2 + b^2) where a and b are real numbers.

A triple dash means identical.

Nov 2009
I understand how it means congruent/identical in geometrical shapes but not in algebra

For complex conjugates I was referring to circumstances such as z*

Nov 2009
what is meant by a commer (apologies for the mutation of a language if this is spelt incorrectly) between two values?

Oct 2009
It depends

what is meant by a commer (apologies for the mutation of a language if this is spelt incorrectly) between two values?
I believe you mean either a comma or an apostrophe (need more context or an example).

Oct 2009
Depends on the values

comma

u,v
For example the comma in 238,231 means the number is over 238 thousand (the comma is being used to make it easier to understand the number).

Do you have something else in mind when you say values?

Nov 2009
" Let l = (u, v) be a complex number,"