related rates questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 2010
I am having trouble with the following questions:

1.A plane flying horizontally at an altitude of 2 miles is heading directly toward a radar station. The radar station is changing to be -300 mph when the plane is s=3 miles from the station. Find the speed of the plane (relative to the ground) at this point.

b. Find the rate of change of the angle of elevation (in radians per minute) from the station tho the plane at the same point.

c.A water trough is 2 feet deep and 10 feet long, and it has an isosceles trapezoidal cross section with base lengths 2 feet and 5 feet. If water enters the trough at the rate of 10 cu ft/ min, how fast is the water level rising when the water is 1/5 foor deep?

Apr 2010
Note for 1 : The radar detects the rate of change ds/dt at which the distance s between the plane and the radar station is changing to be -300 mph

Apr 2010
Bend Oregon
Hi sideways,

I begrudgingly admit that related raetes are not my strength. However, i have worked out the first couple of parts of your question. they are in the attachment. I hope they help. I didn't check them, so i recommend you apply some trig to see if they work out. Please forgive me if not, but they should give you some pretty good starting info in any event.

Be well,
t

Attachments

Apr 2010
thanks for the help, i still need assistance with the second question, this is for an assignment that is due tomorrow morning!! please help!!

mr fantastic

MHF Hall of Fame
Dec 2007
Zeitgeist
thanks for the help, i still need assistance with the second question, this is for an assignment that is due tomorrow morning!! please help!!
It is not MHF policy to help with work that counts towards the final grade of a student (which from the sound of it, these questions are). Such work is meant to be the work of the student, not the work of others.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.