Proof of twin prime conjecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

HallsofIvy

MHF Helper
Apr 2005
The fact that several people "haven't read it properly" indicates that either it is flawed or you haven't explained it properly!

Reactions: 1 person

topsquark

Forum Staff
Jan 2006
Wellsville, NY
So, following this process, the twin primes are simply those pairs of primes, 6n-1 and 6n+1 that escape the elimination process. A little thought will show that for the twin prime conjecture to be false, it takes one and only one special prime to eliminate (at some point in its elimination process) the remaining infinite number of 6n-1 and 6n+1 pairs of integers ahead of it on the infinite number line (i.e. those that have not already been eliminated by previous primes). Eliminating a pair of 6n-1 and 6n+1 integers simply requires that one of them is eliminated i.e. one of them is a multiple of this special prime. It will now be shown that it is impossible for any special prime to achieve this i.e. the twin prime conjecture is true.
In this part of the discussion, consider the infinite number line after 2, 3 and their infinite number of multiples have been eliminated (1 is removed also) as mentioned previously. Imagine a prime number hopping (infinitely) like a frog along this infinite number line consisting of integers of the form 6n-1 or 6n+1 during its turn in the sieving process, as it eliminates its multiples as described above e.g. 17 takes its first hop and eliminates 17 x 17 = 289 as it lands on it. 17 then takes its second hop and then eliminates 17 x 19 = 323 as it lands on it etc. A little thought will show that each and every one of the infinite number of multiples of 17 with prime factors of 5, 7, 11, 13 and 17 only will have a pair of un - eliminated 6n-1 and 6n+1 integers just before it (if the multiple of 17 is of the form 6n-1) or after it (if the multiple of 17 is of the form 6n+1). So as 17 is hopping infinitely along the infinite number line described, it will hop over these infinite number of 6n-1 and 6n+1 un-eliminated pairs. So this will be true for all primes greater than 3. So 37 will hop over un- eliminated pairs before or after the infinite number of multiples of 37 with prime factors of 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29, 31 and 37 only. So no such special prime exists that can eliminate all the remaining un-eliminated 6n-1 and 6n+1 pairs ahead of it at some point in its infinite hopping. So the twin prime conjecture is true i.e. there are an infinite number of twin primes.
I did read this carefully. What you have here is a demonstration, not a proof. You have to show that your conjecture is correct, not just demonstrate it with a few primes.

-Dan

Aug 2010
What I have here is a proof. Read it a few more times and maybe you will understand that this proof is a no brainer.

topsquark

Forum Staff
Jan 2006
Wellsville, NY
What I have here is a proof. Read it a few more times and maybe you will understand that this proof is a no brainer.
"A little thought" does not make a proof. This has been pointed out several times and you don't seem to understand that. Supply the chain of reasoning between "a little thought" and "proves." Then come back and enlighten us.

Thread closed.

-Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.