Probability of 6 randomly selected

Mar 2008
Iowa
I need help with what rule I should be using here. The question is this,

A study conducted at a certain college shows that 53% of the school's graduates find a job in their chosen field within a year after graduation. Find the probability that among 6 randomly selected graduates, at least one finds a job in his or her chosen field within a year of graduating.

By reading it I think whatever the rule it should be increasing the odds.

Thanks for the help.

Jul 2010
If I can give you a hint, calculate what the odds are none of the graduates gets the desired job.

Reactions: Jarod_C
Mar 2008
Iowa
Thanks ryker, but I'm still confused. Is it possable that someone give me the anwser and how they got it. btw it's not cheating, are instructor is encouragoing us to compare anwsers, and share work with other people. It's only on test and quizes we can't do this.

Jul 2009
There aren't too many ways of calculating this. You are looking at the sum of binomial probabilities. The hint you were given takes this into account. The "at least" is a clue that you are looking at multiple outcomes. For example if you selected six, people and you want at least one person to have a job, you might find that two out of those six actually have jobs. But that is not the only way of calculating "at least one":
P(at least one): P(1)+P(2)+P(3)+P(4)+P(5)+P(6).

Six calculations. Now use the hint you were given to make this easier on yourself.

Plato

MHF Helper
Aug 2006
Try \(\displaystyle \displaystyle 1-(.47)^6\).