Polar to Cartesian.

May 2010
In my calculus class, I chose to doa project on finding the area inside a polar curve and then revolving the curve around the x-axis in order to find the surface area and the volume of the solid. Unfortunately, I got stuck on converting r=2.5sin(3θ) into Cartesian form. Is this possible and if so how is it done?

Last edited by a moderator:

matheagle

MHF Hall of Honor
Feb 2009
In my calculus class, I chose to doa project on finding the area inside a polar curve and then revolving the curve around the x-axis in order to find the surface area and the volume of the solid. Unfortunately, I got stuck on converting r=2.5sin(3θ) into Cartesian form. Is this possible and if so how is it done?

I thought it was just another circle.
I believe it's a 3 leaf petal now.

Last edited:
May 2010
You can either convert it because you know the cartesian equation of the circle matheagle described, or you can use the formula below
\(\displaystyle x=rcos(\theta)\)
\(\displaystyle y=rsin(\theta)\)

These can be used to convert any polar coordinates \(\displaystyle (r,\theta)\) to cartesian coordinates \(\displaystyle x,y\), but it looks messy....id work out the equation of the circle instead.

skeeter

MHF Helper
Jun 2008
North Texas
a single "petal", or is the whole thing to be rotated about the x-axis?

for the volume, you might consider Pappus's Centroid Theorem -- from Wolfram MathWorld

HallsofIvy

MHF Helper
Apr 2005
\(\displaystyle sin(\theta+ \phi)= sin(\theta)cos(\phi)+ cos(\theta)sin(\phi)\)\
and
\(\displaystyle cos(\theta+ \phi)= cos(\theta)cos(\phi)- sin(\theta)sin(\phi)\).

In particular,
\(\displaystyle sin(2\theta)= sin(\theta+ \theta)\)\(\displaystyle = sin(\theta)cos(\theta)+ cos(\theta)sin(\theta)= 2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)\)
and
\(\displaystyle cos(2\theta)= cos(\theta+ \theta)\)\(\displaystyle = cos(\theta)cos(\theta)- sin(\theta)sin(\theta)= cos^2(\theta)- sin^2(\theta)\)

Now,
\(\displaystyle sin(3\theta)= sin(2\theta+ \theta)= sin(2\theta)cos(\theta)+ cos(2\theta)sin(\theta)\)\(\displaystyle = 2sin(\theta)cos^2(\theta)+ (cos^2(\theta)- sin^2(\theta))sin(\theta)\)\(\displaystyle = 2sin(\theta)cos^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)sin(\theta)- sin^3(\theta)\)\(\displaystyle = 3sin(\theta)cos^2(\theta)- sin^3(\theta)\).

So \(\displaystyle r= .5 sin(3\theta)= .5(3 sin(\theta)cos^2(\theta)- sin^3(\theta)\)

Multiply both sides by \(\displaystyle r^3\) to get
\(\displaystyle r^4= 1.5 (r sin(\theta)(r^2 cos^2(\theta))- .5 (r^3 sin^2(\theta))\)

\(\displaystyle r^2= x^2+ y^2\) so \(\displaystyle r^4= (x^2+ y^2)^2\) while \(\displaystyle r cos(\theta)= x\) and \(\displaystyle r sin(\theta)= y\).

\(\displaystyle (x^2+ y^2)^2= 1.5 xy^2- .5 y^3\)

May 2010
I intended odor the entire curve to be rotated around the x-axis. How do you find the volume of parametric equations rotated around the axis?

May 2010
\(\displaystyle sin(\theta+ \phi)= sin(\theta)cos(\phi)+ cos(\theta)sin(\phi)\)\
and
\(\displaystyle cos(\theta+ \phi)= cos(\theta)cos(\phi)- sin(\theta)sin(\phi)\).

In particular,
\(\displaystyle sin(2\theta)= sin(\theta+ \theta)\)\(\displaystyle = sin(\theta)cos(\theta)+ cos(\theta)sin(\theta)= 2sin(\theta)cos(\theta)\)
and
\(\displaystyle cos(2\theta)= cos(\theta+ \theta)\)\(\displaystyle = cos(\theta)cos(\theta)- sin(\theta)sin(\theta)= cos^2(\theta)- sin^2(\theta)\)

Now,
\(\displaystyle sin(3\theta)= sin(2\theta+ \theta)= sin(2\theta)cos(\theta)+ cos(2\theta)sin(\theta)\)\(\displaystyle = 2sin(\theta)cos^2(\theta)+ (cos^2(\theta)- sin^2(\theta))sin(\theta)\)\(\displaystyle = 2sin(\theta)cos^2(\theta)+ cos^2(\theta)sin(\theta)- sin^3(\theta)\)\(\displaystyle = 3sin(\theta)cos^2(\theta)- sin^3(\theta)\).

So \(\displaystyle r= .5 sin(3\theta)= .5(3 sin(\theta)cos^2(\theta)- sin^3(\theta)\)

Multiply both sides by \(\displaystyle r^3\) to get
\(\displaystyle r^4= 1.5 (r sin(\theta)(r^2 cos^2(\theta))- .5 (r^3 sin^2(\theta))\)

\(\displaystyle r^2= x^2+ y^2\) so \(\displaystyle r^4= (x^2+ y^2)^2\) while \(\displaystyle r cos(\theta)= x\) and \(\displaystyle r sin(\theta)= y\).

\(\displaystyle (x^2+ y^2)^2= 1.5 xy^2- .5 y^3\)
Thank you soo much! Now would ou know how to find the volume of the graph when rotate around the x-axis?