Please help me on a problem about particular antiderivatives.

Sep 2018
Philippines
Hello everyone. Our professor discussed this particular problem the other day:

At any point (x,y) on a curve, d2y/dx2 = 1 - x^2. The equation of the tangent line to the curve at (1,1) is y = -x + 2. Find the equation of the curve.

I have notes on the solution but I’m stuck. I don’t understand why dy/dx equals to -1. Can someone please lead me in the right direction? Attached is the picture of my lecture notes.

Thank you very much!

Attachments

romsek

MHF Helper
Nov 2013
California
It looks like you correctly derived $\dfrac{dy}{dx}$, now just integrate it.

$\dfrac{dy}{dx} = -1$ at $x=1$ because you selected the constant of integration, $-\dfrac 5 3$ to make it so.

Reactions: 2 people

Plato

MHF Helper
Aug 2006
Hello everyone. Our professor discussed this particular problem the other day:
At any point (x,y) on a curve, d2y/dx2 = 1 - x^2. The equation of the tangent line to the curve at (1,1) is y = -x + 2. Find the equation of the curve.
I have notes on the solution but I’m stuck. I don’t understand why dy/dx equals to -1. Can someone please lead me in the right direction? Attached is the picture of my lecture notes.
Sorry but I cannot read your images.
But based upon the post, if $\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2}=1-x^2$ then $\dfrac{dx}{dy}=x-\tfrac{1}{3}x^3+C$ Now surely you know that $\dfrac{dx}{dy}$ is slope.
And we are given that $y=-1x+2$ is the tangent at $(1,1)$ which has slope $-1$.
Thus $\dfrac{dx}{dy}(1,1)=1-\tfrac{1}{3}1^3+C=-1$ so $C=~?$

The find the primitive(anti-derivative) again. Use the point $(1,1)$ to find the constant in the primitive.

Reactions: 2 people
Sep 2018
Philippines
Thanks everyone! So it was the slope all along! :D