Parallel segments between 2 circles

May 2016
Europe
Hello!

I have an interesting task i am trying to solve.

segments_task.png
Given are two circles with centers. A segment a is given too. We have to find all parallel segments to a with same length as a, such that on end of these segments lies on Circle 1 and the other end lies on Circle 2.

Kind of tricky for me. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks!
Boris

Edit: This is basic geometry, so all we can use is a compass to draw circles and a ruler.

Last edited:
Nov 2007
Trumbull Ct
When two circles intersect the common chord produces two circle segments.
Why is this chord perpendicular to the line of centers ?
Construct additional chords parallel to this chord using only ruler and compass.

May 2016
Europe
Hey!
Why is this chord perpendicular to the line of centers ?
Well, because the chord represents the third side of an isosceles triangle where the line of centres is the height of that triangle (the equal sides are both radius of circle 1 or circle 2, if you set one of the centers as third point of that triangle). Nice property btw. Didnt see that. But ok, i still dont get, why this property should help me to solve my problem.

Construct additional chords parallel to this chord using only ruler and compass.
Yes, i could do that. But the segment a is not parallel to the line of centres, thus it is not perpendicular to that chord or parallels of that chord.

Last edited:
May 2016
Europe
Hello!
I found a solution i think.

The hint is to work with translations. Define translations with length of segment a and with both directions according to a. Translate the centers in both direction a redraw the circles everytime you do a translation.

If anything works, i will post a graphical solution later.

Thanks!

Nov 2007
Trumbull Ct
There are two isosceles triangles and the line of centers is the perpendicular bisector of the chord.
Extend the line of centers to complete both diameters.
Strike arcs from each center to find end points of new chords of both circles.
Connect the new chords with ruler.
All chords are parallel.

May 2016
Europe
Hello bjhopper,

yes, you are right. Like that you get parallel chords. But how does that fit with the task?

Nov 2007
Trumbull Ct
There are two chords equal in length to the common chord
To find them think rectangles.

May 2016
Europe
There are two chords equal in length to the common chord
To find them think rectangles.
Here they are

still no clue where you want to get me :)

EDIT: Btw, this is how it looks like after working with translations v_1 and v_2. The asked segments are marked red.

Last edited:
Nov 2007
Trumbull Ct
Here they are

still no clue where you want to get me :)

EDIT: Btw, this is how it looks like after working with translations v_1 and v_2. The asked segments are marked red.

Sorry. I am thinking circle segments not line segments

Last edited:
May 2016
Europe
Oh, ok. Sorry, maybe i used wrong words to describe the task (since i am not native english and especially i am not familiar with the use of technical language).