normal line to the curve

Oct 2009
A curve \(\displaystyle y=f(x)\) with the gradient function \(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{x^2}{3x-1}.\)

The straight line \(\displaystyle ky=2x-7\) is normal to the curve \(\displaystyle y=f(x)\) at \(\displaystyle (2,m)\).Find the value of \(\displaystyle k\) and \(\displaystyle m\).

any help will appreciate,.

Last edited:

mr fantastic

MHF Hall of Fame
Dec 2007
Zeitgeist
The straight line \(\displaystyle ky=2x-7\) is normal to the curve \(\displaystyle y=f(x)\) at \(\displaystyle (2,m)\).Find the value of \(\displaystyle k\) and \(\displaystyle m\).

any help will appreciate,.
There is not enough information given. Go back and check the question.

Oct 2009
There is not enough information given. Go back and check the question.

hi sir..

sorry,my mistake

the question is. A curve \(\displaystyle y=f(x)\) with gradient function \(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{x^2}{3x-1}\).

pickslides

MHF Helper
Sep 2008
Melbourne
Well start by substituting \(\displaystyle x=2\) into \(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}\) what you you get? What does that mean?

Oct 2009
Well start by substituting \(\displaystyle x=2\) into \(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}\) what you you get? What does that mean?
hi,i get \(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{4}{5}\) then?it mean the gradient right?

pickslides

MHF Helper
Sep 2008
Melbourne
hi,i get \(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{4}{5}\) then?it mean the gradient right?
Correct, it is the gradient of \(\displaystyle f(x)\) at \(\displaystyle x=2\). Now what is the relationship between the gradient and the normal?

Hint: \(\displaystyle m_N\times m_T = -1\)

How can we use this value?

Oct 2009
Correct, it is the gradient of \(\displaystyle f(x)\) at \(\displaystyle x=2\). Now what is the relationship between the gradient and the normal?

Hint: \(\displaystyle m_N\times m_T = -1\)

How can we use this value?
i get the gradient of normal is \(\displaystyle -\frac{5}{4}\).

pickslides

MHF Helper
Sep 2008
Melbourne
The straight line \(\displaystyle ky=2x-7\) is normal to the curve \(\displaystyle y=f(x)\) at \(\displaystyle (2,m)\).
so maybe its' time to find \(\displaystyle k\)

Making the form \(\displaystyle y=mx+c\)

\(\displaystyle ky=2x-7\implies y=\frac{2}{k}x-\frac{7}{k}\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{-5}{4}= \frac{2}{k}\)

Reactions: mastermin346