More Parsonson - Rational Numbers

Feb 2011
Hi all. I'm trying to complete Ex. 11 (photos of the book pages below).
.would someone be able to give me a hint on how to approach this?

I have tried replacing (x,1) with (b/a,1) in the given expression to show the answer gives (a.b/a,1) and therefore the expression holds.

Not sure if this is satisfactory?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HallsofIvy

MHF Helper
Apr 2005
When you say "I have tried replacing (x,1) with (b/a,1)" you are completely misunderstanding what is being said!

The whole point is that a rational number (which might be represented as b/a) can be written as the pair of integers (b, a). You can't replace x by b/a- x must be an integer. The definition of multiplication is given by \(\displaystyle (p_1, q_1)\times (p_2, q_2)= (p_1p_2, q_1q_2)\) so that \(\displaystyle (a, 1)\times (x, 1)= (ax, 1)\) so saying that \(\displaystyle (x, 1)\times (a, 1)= (b, 1)\) means immediately that b= ax.

But then the definition of "equal" pairs, that \(\displaystyle (a_1, b_1)= (a_2, b_2)\) means \(\displaystyle a_1b_2= a_2b_1\), (b, a)= (x, 1) is the same as saying that b(1)= b= a(x), exactly what we had.

Feb 2011
When you say "I have tried replacing (x,1) with (b/a,1)" you are completely misunderstanding what is being said!

The whole point is that a rational number (which might be represented as b/a) can be written as the pair of integers (b, a). You can't replace x by b/a- x must be an integer. The definition of multiplication is given by \(\displaystyle (p_1, q_1)\times (p_2, q_2)= (p_1p_2, q_1q_2)\) so that \(\displaystyle (a, 1)\times (x, 1)= (ax, 1)\) so saying that \(\displaystyle (x, 1)\times (a, 1)= (b, 1)\) means immediately that b= ax.

But then the definition of "equal" pairs, that \(\displaystyle (a_1, b_1)= (a_2, b_2)\) means \(\displaystyle a_1b_2= a_2b_1\), (b, a)= (x, 1) is the same as saying that b(1)= b= a(x), exactly what we had.
Oh dear. I'm not very good at this. I understand your explanation though. Thanks HallsofIvy.