Matlab and Newtons method

Mar 2016
Australia
Hi,

i have to to use newtons method to solve for a zero solution of f(x) = x-e^-x^-2.

I get the iteration formula: x(k+1) = xk - f(xk)/(f'xk) and a first guess that x(0) = 0.5.

can anyone help me write the code for the next iterations (does it contain a for loop?)

i am am new to calculus (kind of did it 20 years ago) and still learning Matlab (actually for my other unit!)

Any help appreciated

kind regards
Beetle

skeeter

MHF Helper
Jun 2008
North Texas
i have to to use newtons method to solve for a zero solution of f(x) = x-e^-x^-2.
f(x) = x-e^-x^-2 is interpreted as $f(x)=x-e^{-x^{-2}} = x - e^{-\frac{1}{x^2}}$

that's not the function you've referred to in your other posts re: the IVT & Newton's method

your function is f(x) = x - e^(-x^2) ... $f(x) = x - e^{-x^2}$

pay attention to detail to avoid further confusion.

Mar 2016
Australia
Hi,

I seemed to have lost my reply to this post so; below is what I have tried to program by adapting an example we had in the notes. There is an issue in writing the formula (amongst other things). I did have it prompting me to input the initial guess and number of iterations however have seemed to have lost that and now get an error in the formula line. I have checked my indices and think they are now correct as pointed out above.

The question is:(a) Without doing a sketch, show that the equation f(x) = x − e^(−x^2)

has at least one solution on the interval [0, 2].
[Hint: Use a theorem discussed in lectures, or see Section 1.8 of Calculus (8th ed) by Stewart.
Ensure the conditions of the theorem are satisfied.]

(b) Use Newton’s method to find this zero accurate to 3 decimal places. You should include a
sketch of the function, Newton’s iteration formula, and the list of iterates. [Use a computer
if possible, e.g. a spreadsheet or MatLab.]

and the script I am trying to enter currently looks like this:
%Use Newtton's Method to find a non-zero number such that f(x) =
%x-e(^(x^2);
clear;
x_=input ('Enter initial guess x_0):');
num = input ('Enter number of iterations');
x = -0.1:0.001:2;
k=0;
fprintf('x = %f\n', x);
for k=num
x = x-(x-e^(-x^2)/(1+2*x.e^(-x^2);