Limit using L'Hôpital

May 2010
Hi there. Im new on this forum. And here is the deal, I'm trying to solve this limit:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle\lim_{x \to{0}+}{(\displaystyle\frac{sin(x)}{x})^{\frac{1}{x^2}}}\)

I have made an attempt, using logaritm, that I think its the way of solving it, but it didn't simplfied things too much.

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle\lim_{x \to{0}+}{e^{\frac{\ln\frac{sin(x)}{x}}{x^2}}}\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle\lim_{x \to{0}+}{\displaystyle\frac{\ln(\frac{sin(x)}{x})}{x^2}}\)

And then:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle\lim_{x \to{0}+}{\displaystyle\frac{\ln(sin(x))-\ln(x))}{x^2}}\)

How should I proceed?

I've tried using L'Hôpitals rule, but I didn't get too far.

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle\lim_{x \to{0}+}{\displaystyle\frac{x\tan(x)-1}{2x}}\)

From here it would seem to be that the answer is \(\displaystyle e^{-\infty}\) (which I think it would be equal to zero) but I used derive to make the calculus, and the límit should give \(\displaystyle e^{-1/6}\)

Bye there.

Oct 2009
Hi there. Im new on this forum. And here is the deal, I'm trying to solve this limit:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle\lim_{x \to{0}+}{(\displaystyle\frac{sin(x)}{x})^{\frac{1}{x^2}}}\)

I have made an attempt, using logaritm, that I think its the way of solving it, but it didn't simplfied things too much.

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle\lim_{x \to{0}+}{e^{\frac{\ln\frac{sin(x)}{x}}{x^2}}}\)

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle\lim_{x \to{0}+}{\displaystyle\frac{\ln(\frac{sin(x)}{x})}{x^2}}\)

And then:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle\lim_{x \to{0}+}{\displaystyle\frac{\ln(sin(x))-\ln(x))}{x^2}}\)

How should I proceed?

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle\lim_{x \to{0}+}{\displaystyle\frac{x\tan(x)-1}{2x}}\)

Bye there.

\(\displaystyle \left(\ln\frac{\sin x}{x}\right)^{'}=\frac{x}{\sin x}\frac{x\cos x-\sin x}{x^2}\) \(\displaystyle =\frac{x\cos x-\sin x}{x\sin x}\) , so applying L'Hospital you get:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x\cos x-\sin x}{2x^2\sin x}\) , and L'H once again: \(\displaystyle \frac{-x\sin x}{4x\sin x+2x^2\cos x}\) , and once again: \(\displaystyle \frac{-\sin x-x\cos x}{4\sin x+8x\cos x-2x^2\sin x}\) , and again:

\(\displaystyle \frac{-2\cos x+x\sin x}{12\cos x-12x\sin x-2x^2\cos x}\xrightarrow [x\to o^+]{}-\frac{2}{12}=-\frac{1}{6}\) , so the limit is \(\displaystyle e^{-1/6}\)

Tonio

Reactions: Ulysses

Prove It

MHF Helper
Aug 2008

And then:

How should I proceed?

Bye there.
\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0^{+}}\left[\left(\frac{\sin{x}}{x}\right)^{\frac{1}{x^2}}\right] = \lim_{x \to 0^{+}}e^{\ln{\left[\left(\frac{\sin{x}}{x}\right)^{\frac{1}{x^2}}\right]}}\)

\(\displaystyle = \lim_{x \to 0^{+}}e^{\frac{\ln{\left(\frac{\sin{x}}{x}\right)}}{x^2}}\)

\(\displaystyle = e^{\lim_{x \to 0^{+}}\frac{\ln{\left(\frac{\sin{x}}{x}\right)}}{x^2}}\)

This \(\displaystyle \to \frac{0}{0}\), so you can use L'Hospital's Rule...

\(\displaystyle e^{\lim_{x \to 0^{+}}\frac{\ln{\left(\frac{\sin{x}}{x}\right)}}{x^2}} = e^{\lim_{x \to 0^{+}}\left(\frac{\frac{\frac{x\cos{x} - \sin{x}}{x^2}}{\frac{\sin{x}}{x}}}{2x}\right)}\)

\(\displaystyle = e^{\lim_{x \to 0^{+}}\left(\frac{\frac{x\cos{x} - \sin{x}}{x\sin{x}}}{2x}\right)}\)

\(\displaystyle = e^{\lim_{x \to 0^{+}}\left(\frac{x\cos{x} - \sin{x}}{2x^2\sin{x}}\right)}\).

This still \(\displaystyle \to \frac{0}{0}\) so use L'Hospital's Rule again...

\(\displaystyle e^{\lim_{x \to 0^{+}}\left(\frac{x\cos{x} - \sin{x}}{2x^2\sin{x}}\right)} = e^{\lim_{x \to 0^{+}}\left(\frac{\cos{x} - x\sin{x} - \cos{x}}{2x^2\cos{x} + 4x\sin{x}}\right)}\)

\(\displaystyle = e^{\lim_{x \to 0^{+}}\left(-\frac{\sin{x}}{4\sin{x} + 2x\cos{x}}\right)}\)

This still \(\displaystyle \to \frac{0}{0}\), so use L'Hospital's Rule again...

\(\displaystyle e^{\lim_{x \to 0^{+}}\left(-\frac{\sin{x}}{4\sin{x} + 2x\cos{x}}\right)} = e^{\lim_{x \to 0^{+}}\left(-\frac{\cos{x}}{4\cos{x} + 2x\sin{x} + 2\cos{x}}\right)}\)

\(\displaystyle = e^{-\frac{1}{4 + 2}}\)

\(\displaystyle = e^{-\frac{1}{6}}\).

PHEW!

Edit: Fixed a small mistake.

Last edited:

Prove It

MHF Helper
Aug 2008
\(\displaystyle \left(\ln\frac{\sin x}{x}\right)^{'}=\frac{x}{\sin x}\frac{x\cos x-\sin x}{x^2}\) \(\displaystyle =\frac{x\cos x-\sin x}{x\sin x}\) , so applying L'Hospital you get:

\(\displaystyle \frac{x\cos x-\sin x}{2x^2\sin x}\) , and L'H once again: \(\displaystyle \frac{-x\sin x}{4x\sin x+2x^2\cos x}\) , and once again: \(\displaystyle \frac{-\sin x-x\cos x}{4\sin x+8x\cos x-2x^2\sin x}\) , and again:

\(\displaystyle \frac{-2\cos x+x\sin x}{12\cos x-12x\sin x-2x^2\cos x}\xrightarrow [x\to o^+]{}-\frac{2}{12}=-\frac{1}{6}\) , so the limit is \(\displaystyle e^{-1/6}\)

Tonio
You've forgotten about the \(\displaystyle 2x\) in the denominator that comes from the power in the logarithm.

chiph588@

MHF Hall of Honor
Sep 2008
Champaign, Illinois
In general to get the \(\displaystyle 1^\infty \) indeterminate form into the form \(\displaystyle \frac00 \) do the following:

If \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to a}f(x) = 1 \) and \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to a}g(x) = \infty \)

then \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to a} f(x)^{g(x)} = \exp\left(\lim_{x\to a}\frac{\ln f(x)}{1/g(x)}\right) \).

Then just apply L'Hôpital's rule to get your answer.

May 2010
I wanted to ask him about that Prove it. Thanks. And I know that the result that he get to its good, because its the same that Derive gave it to me.

I have to go now, but I'll read this later.

Bye there, and thanks to both of you.

simplependulum

MHF Hall of Honor
Jan 2009

And then:

How should I proceed?

From here it would seem to be that the answer is \(\displaystyle e^{-\infty}\) (which I think it would be equal to zero) but I used derive to make the calculus, and the límit should give \(\displaystyle e^{-1/6}\)

Bye there.

We have \(\displaystyle \frac{\sin(x)}{x} = 1 - \frac{x^2}{6} + \frac{x^4}{120} - ... \)

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x\to 0} \left( \frac{\sin(x)}{x} \right)^{\frac{1}{x^2}} = \lim_{x\to 0} \left( 1 - \frac{x^2}{6} + \frac{x^4}{120} - ...\right)^{\frac{1}{x^2}}\)

Let \(\displaystyle n = \frac{1}{x^2} \) and we have

\(\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \left( 1 - \frac{1}{n}( \frac{1}{6} - \frac{1}{120 n} - ...) \right )^n \)

\(\displaystyle = exp \{\ -( \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{1}{6} - \frac{1}{120 n} - ... ) \}\ \)

\(\displaystyle = e^{-1/6}\)

EDIT: I think it is unnecessary to evaluate only the right hand limit .

Last edited:

simplependulum

MHF Hall of Honor
Jan 2009
\(\displaystyle
e^{\lim_{x \to 0^{+}}\left(\frac{x\cos{x} - \sin{x}}{2x^2\sin{x}}\right)} = e^{\lim_{x \to 0^{+}}\left(\frac{\cos{x} - x\sin{x} - \cos{x}}{2x^2\cos{x} - 4x\sin{x}}\right)}
\)
Mistake appears in this line

The derivative of \(\displaystyle 2x^2 \sin(x) \) is

\(\displaystyle 4x\sin(x) + 2x^2 \cos(x) \)