Is this identically zero?

Jul 2006
Is

\(\displaystyle x\ln x\)

identically zero at x=0, or does it have a singularity?

EDIT: silly me. I didn't mean to write 'z' there, just been doing too much complex analysis recently and got into the habit of writing z everywhere.

Sorry for the confusion!

Last edited:
Apr 2010
Canada
Is

\(\displaystyle x\ln x\)

identically zero at z=0, or does it have a singularity?
\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0^+ } xlnx \)

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0^+ } \frac{lnx}{ \frac{1}{x}} \)

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0^+ } \frac{ \frac{1}{x} }{ - \frac{1}{x^2} }\)

\(\displaystyle - \lim_{x \to 0^+ } \frac{ \frac{1}{x} }{ \frac{1}{x^2} }\)

\(\displaystyle - \lim_{x \to 0^+ } \frac{x^2}{x} \)

\(\displaystyle = 0^+ \)

My limits are a little bit rusty (doh!) but I think the above is good.

Reactions: scorpion007
Jan 2010
The domain of the log function does not include 0, so \(\displaystyle \ln 0\) is undefined, therefore \(\displaystyle 0 \cdot \ln 0\) is undefined.

Jul 2006
Thanks guys, but you seem to be in disagreement, so I don't know which answer is correct :)

Jan 2010
Thanks guys, but you seem to be in disagreement, so I don't know which answer is correct :)
Well, we're both right. It is true that the limit as \(\displaystyle x \to 0^+\) equals zero, but that has no bearing on the question you asked. I'm assuming he just misread your post.

Jul 2006
Ah, ok. And I guess even if a limit did exist at x=0, it still doesn't mean it won't have a singularity there, right?

So the answer is then: It has a singularity at x=0, and is not identically 0?

Drexel28

MHF Hall of Honor
Nov 2009
Berkeley, California
\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0^+ } xlnx \)

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0^+ } \frac{lnx}{ \frac{1}{x}} \)

\(\displaystyle \lim_{x \to 0^+ } \frac{ \frac{1}{x} }{ - \frac{1}{x^2} }\)

\(\displaystyle - \lim_{x \to 0^+ } \frac{ \frac{1}{x} }{ \frac{1}{x^2} }\)

\(\displaystyle - \lim_{x \to 0^+ } \frac{x^2}{x} \)

\(\displaystyle = 0^+ \)

My limits are a little bit rusty (doh!) but I think the above is good.
Well, we're both right. It is true that the limit as \(\displaystyle x \to 0^+\) equals zero, but that has no bearing on the question you asked. I'm assuming he just misread your post.
I believe you both misinterpreted the question. It seems as though the OP is asking whether \(\displaystyle f:\mathbb{C}\to\mathbb{C}:z\mapsto z\ln(z)\) has a removable singularity there. The OP, in that case, has lots of explaining to do. What branch, for starters?

Jul 2006
No no, no complex analysis here, just purely reals. I'm not asking about removable singularities or poles or anything like that.

HallsofIvy

MHF Helper
Apr 2005
By the way, asking if a function is "identically 0 for x= 0" is meaningless. A function is "identically 0" if it is 0 for all x. No, that function is not 0 for x= 0, it is undefined there.

Oct 2008
By the way, asking if a function is "identically 0 for x= 0" is meaningless. A function is "identically 0" if it is 0 for all x. No, that function is not 0 for x= 0, it is undefined there.
I realize this is a bit off topic, but just so I have the term right, it's still meaningful to say that a function is "identically (something)" for all x in an interval (for example, \(\displaystyle f(x)=cos(x)sec(x)\) is identically 1 for all \(\displaystyle x\in\left(\frac{-\pi}{2},\frac{\pi}{2}\right)\) ), right?