is f continuous

Jul 2009
\(\displaystyle |x+1|/(x^2-1)\)

i graphed it and i think it has a jump discontinuity at -1 can someone tell me if this is right

Jan 2010
The way I learned it, "jump discontinuity" means that there is a jump in function values that makes the gap impossible to plug with a single point. I don't think this is what you mean. Rather, at -1, the graph has a "removable discontinuity." The graph is continuous everywhere except for the "hole" at x = -1. If we "plug" the hole we would have a continuous graph at -1.

By the way, there is another place on the graph where we have a discontinuity that you didn't mention. Where is it?

Oct 2009
\(\displaystyle |x+1|/(x^2-1)\)

i graphed it and i think it has a jump discontinuity at -1 can someone tell me if this is right

\(\displaystyle \frac{|x+1|}{x^2-1}=\left\{\begin{array}{ll}\frac{-x-1}{x^2-1}=-\frac{1}{x-1}&\,if\,\,x<-1\\{}\\\frac{x+1}{x^2-1}=\frac{1}{x-1}&\,if\,\,x>-1\\{}\\unde{f}ined&\,if\,\,x=\pm 1\end{array}\right.\)

Tonio

Reactions: Archie Meade
Apr 2010
Canada
what would the graph be?
Has your professor not told you how to graph rational functions?

Find: Points of Inflection, Vertical/Horizontal Asymtotes, intervals of decreasing/increasing functions via first derivative test.

I forget, but I think that's all we need to graph.

Dec 2009
This is what the graph looks like.

If you look at Tonio's response, you can evaluate the limit the graph approaches,
as x approaches -1 from the left and from the right.

Attachments

Reactions: dat1611
Jul 2009
so its not continuous and has a removable discontinuity at -1 and a infinite discontinuity at x=1