Interval of Convergence Problem

Jan 2010
Sorry, but I have no idea how to use the math symbol thingies, so bear with me here.

How would I go about finding the interval of convergence of:

Σ (((-1)^n)(x^n))/n
Also, can the endpoints be included in the interval?
Thanks so much.

Prove It

MHF Helper
Aug 2008
Sorry, but I have no idea how to use the math symbol thingies, so bear with me here.

Σ (((-1)^n)(x^n))/n
Thanks so much.
You will need to use the Ratio Test.

Remembering that the Ratio Test tells us that the series is convergent where \(\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty}\left|\frac{a_{n + 1}}{a_n}\right|<1\), divergent where \(\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty}\left|\frac{a_{n + 1}}{a_n}\right|>1\) and inconclusive where \(\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty}\left|\frac{a_{n + 1}}{a_n}\right|=1\), no, you can not use the endpoints in your interval. However, there are other tests you can do for the endpoints.

Anyway, you have \(\displaystyle \sum_{n = 0}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^nx^n}{n}\).

This will be convergent where

\(\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty}\left|\frac{a_{n + 1}}{a_n}\right|<1\)

\(\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty}\left|\frac{\frac{(-1)^{n + 1}x^{n + 1}}{n + 1}}{\frac{(-1)^nx^n}{n}}\right| < 1\)

\(\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty}\left|\frac{\frac{x^{n + 1}}{n + 1}}{\frac{x^n}{n}}\right| < 1\)

\(\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty}\left|\frac{nx^{n + 1}}{(n + 1)x^n}\right| < 1\)

\(\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty}\left|\frac{nx}{n + 1}\right| < 1\)

\(\displaystyle |x|\lim_{n \to \infty}\left(\frac{n}{n + 1}\right) < 1\)

\(\displaystyle |x| \lim_{n \to \infty}\left(1 - \frac{1}{n + 1}\right) < 1\)

\(\displaystyle |x| (1) < 1\)

\(\displaystyle |x| < 1\)

\(\displaystyle -1 < x < 1\).

So the series is convergent where \(\displaystyle -1 < x < 1\) and divergent where \(\displaystyle x < -1\) and \(\displaystyle x > 1\). You will need to use a different test for the endpoints of the interval.

skeeter

MHF Helper
Jun 2008
North Texas

Σ (((-1)^n)(x^n))/n
Thanks so much.
set up the ratio test ...

\(\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \left|\frac{x^{n+1}}{n+1} \cdot \frac{n}{x^n} \right| < 1\)

\(\displaystyle |x| \lim_{n \to \infty} \frac{n}{n+1} < 1\)

\(\displaystyle |x| \cdot 1 < 1\)

\(\displaystyle -1 < x < 1\)

if \(\displaystyle x = -1\) , nth term is \(\displaystyle \frac{1}{n}\) ... the harmonic series diverges.

if \(\displaystyle x = 1\) , nth term is \(\displaystyle \frac{(-1)^n}{n}\) ... alternating harmonic series converges

interval of convergence is \(\displaystyle -1 < x \le 1 \)