interesting integral problem (from old post)

Aug 2008
\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{dx}{1+(\tan x)^{\sqrt{2}}}\)

This problem was found on an old post and i thought it was an interesting problem. a hint was given which said remember that tan x = cot(pi/2 - x). i tried letting u = pi/2 - x and i got:
\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{du}{1+(\cot u)^{\sqrt{2}}}\)

i'm not sure what to do next though. my substitution didn't seem to do much.

Drexel28

MHF Hall of Honor
Nov 2009
Berkeley, California
\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{dx}{1+(\tan x)^{\sqrt{2}}}\)

This problem was found on an old post and i thought it was an interesting problem. a hint was given which said remember that tan x = cot(pi/2 - x). i tried letting u = pi/2 - x and i got:
\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{du}{1+(\cot u)^{\sqrt{2}}}\)

i'm not sure what to do next though. my substitution didn't seem to do much.
This is famous. Write it as \(\displaystyle \int_0^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\frac{\cos^{\sqrt{2}}(x)}{\cos^{\sqrt{2}}(x)+\sin^{\sqrt{2}}(x)}dx\) and let \(\displaystyle z=\frac{\pi}{2}-x\) and add the two integrals together.

Reactions: oblixps
May 2009
\(\displaystyle \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0} \frac{dx}{1+\tan^{\sqrt{2}} x} = \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0} \frac{\cos ^{\sqrt{2}}x \ dx}{\cos ^{\sqrt{2}} x+ \sin^{\sqrt{2}}x} \)

let \(\displaystyle x = \frac{\pi}{2} -u \)

\(\displaystyle = - \int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{0} \frac{\cos ^{\sqrt{2}} (\pi/2 -u) \ du}{\cos ^{\sqrt{2}} (\pi /2 -u )+ \sin^{\sqrt{2}} (\pi /2 -u)} \)

\(\displaystyle = \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0} \frac{\sin ^{\sqrt{2}} u \ du}{\sin ^{\sqrt{2}} u + \cos^{\sqrt{2}} u}\)

so \(\displaystyle \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0} \frac{dx}{1+\tan^{\sqrt{2}} x} \ dx = \frac{1}{2} \Big( \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0} \frac{\cos ^{\sqrt{2}}x \ dx}{\cos ^{\sqrt{2}} x+ \sin^{\sqrt{2}}x} + \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0} \frac{\sin ^{\sqrt{2}} x \ dx}{\sin ^{\sqrt{2}} x + \cos^{\sqrt{2}} x} \Big)\)

\(\displaystyle = \frac{1}{2} \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0} \ dx = \frac{\pi}{4} \)

simplependulum

MHF Hall of Honor
Jan 2009
Other integrals using the similar technique :

\(\displaystyle \int^{\pi}_0 \frac{dx}{ 1 + (\sin(x))^{\cos(x)}}\)

and this

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \frac{dx}{ (x^2 + 1) ( 1 + x^{(\ln(x))^2} )}\)

Aug 2008
Other integrals using the similar technique :

\(\displaystyle \int^{\pi}_0 \frac{dx}{ 1 + (\sin(x))^{\cos(x)}}\)

and this

i'm having some trouble with the first integral you posted. i tried turning sin(x) into cos(x)/cot(x) and then using the substitution x = pi/2 - u, i then added the two integrals together and divided by 2. but i couldn't simplify the integral like shown above for the first integral i posted. i also tried making some u substitutions first but all they did was make the integral more complicated. how should this integral be tackled?

May 2009
i'm having some trouble with the first integral you posted. i tried turning sin(x) into cos(x)/cot(x) and then using the substitution x = pi/2 - u, i then added the two integrals together and divided by 2. but i couldn't simplify the integral like shown above for the first integral i posted. i also tried making some u substitutions first but all they did was make the integral more complicated. how should this integral be tackled?
let \(\displaystyle x = \pi - u \)

Aug 2008
would the answer to simplependulum's second integral be pi/2?

May 2009
It should be \(\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{4} \).

EDIT: Make the substitution \(\displaystyle x = \tan u \), then the integral becomes \(\displaystyle \int^{\pi/2}_{0} \frac{du}{1+ \tan^{\ln^{2} \tan u}u} \) (Wondering)

Last edited:

Krizalid

MHF Hall of Honor
Mar 2007
Santiago, Chile
put \(\displaystyle x\mapsto\frac1x\) and the integral becomes \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\infty }{\frac{x^{\ln ^{2}x}}{\left( x^{2}+1 \right)\left( 1+x^{\ln ^{2}x} \right)}\,dx},\) now sum the original integral and this one to get the result.