Integration problem

May 2010
Hello everyone,
I've been preparing for my cal exam and I got stuck on this problem:
Evaluate the infinite integral
\(\displaystyle \int \frac {\sec^4 x}{\sqrt(tan 2x)} dx\)
I would really appreciate if you give me a clue on how I should do it because I've been trying different trigonometric identities and other methods for quite some time with no results.
Thank you

Apr 2010
Canada
Hello everyone,
I've been preparing for my cal exam and I got stuck on this problem:
Evaluate the infinite integral
\(\displaystyle \int \frac {\sec^4 x}{\sqrt(tan 2x)} dx\)
I would really appreciate if you give me a clue on how I should do it because I've been trying different trigonometric identities and other methods for quite some time with no results.
Thank you
Midread the integrand...

Last edited:
May 2010
I think you did not notice that it is a square root of tan(2x)... That is exactly what I was doing except that with square root it does not seem to lead anywhere. :(

Apr 2010
Canada
I think you did not notice that it is a square root of tan(2x)... That is exactly what I was doing except that with square root it does not seem to lead anywhere. :(
Edit- lag. You're right, give me a moment i'll try something

May 2010
Eh, well I found it in previous final exam. First year college calculus.. I know the answer but I wanted to know how to get it. Well thanks for a try, if I'll figure it out, I'll post it lol

Dec 2009
Eh, well I found it in previous final exam. First year college calculus.. I know the answer but I wanted to know how to get it. Well thanks for a try, if I'll figure it out, I'll post it lol
Dear karfag,

Did your answer tally with the answer "Wolfram" suggested??

May 2010
The answer listed is

(tan(2x))^1/2 + 1/5 * (tan(2x))^5/2 + C

Sorry for not writing it the correct way, I'm not very familiar with the math tags syntax

Dec 2009
The answer listed is

(tan(2x))^1/2 + 1/5 * (tan(2x))^5/2 + C

Sorry for not writing it the correct way, I'm not very familiar with the math tags syntax
Dear karfag,

Differentiate \(\displaystyle (tan(2x))^{1/2} + \frac{1}{5} (tan(2x))^{5/2}+C\) and you would obtain, \(\displaystyle \frac {\sec^{4} 2x}{\sqrt{tan 2x}}\). Hence the integration should be \(\displaystyle \int\frac {\sec^{4} 2x}{\sqrt{tan 2x}}\)

Last edited: