Integral of an absolute value function, but it's difficult for me to find zero of the function

Nov 2019
???

I've solved some integrals of absolute value functions before and what I used to do was to separate the intervals for $f(x)>0$ and $f(x)<0$ and would then add them together with $\int_a^b \! f(x) \ = \int_a^b \! (-f(x)) \ $ for $f(x)<0$ in $(a,b)$.
In this example I can't 'see' those intervals and fail to calculate them. My attempt to bruteforce the issue gave me a value that differs from what Wolframalpha says it should be. I get something around $5$ while the "real" value should be $20,16$.

Another site that I found(click)showed actually the same antiderivative and the correct value of $20,16$ but it doesn't show how exactly they arrived at that number so I'm still at a loss where I'm making my mistakes. Maybe I'm just tired from all the hours I've put in today. Sorry if it's something trivial and I fail to see that.
My end result for $F(x)$ was $\frac{(e^{2x}−9e^x+4x)(2e^{2x}−9e^x+4)}{|2e^{2x}−9e^x+4|}+C$. I don't exactly understand how it is different from $e^{2x}−9e^x+4x$ but I was told that $\int |f(x)| = \frac{f(x)}{|f(x)|} \int f(x)$ and that is one way to get rid of the absolute value if you can't find the right intervals.

As you can probably tell by now I am pretty confused. If you could put me on the right track first I'd like to try to solve it myself and ask again if I fail.

Thank you!

romsek

MHF Helper
Nov 2013
California
let $u = e^x \Rightarrow x = \ln(u)$

$2e^{2x} - 9e^x + 4 = 2 u^2 - 9u + 4 = \\

(2u-1)(u-4)\\

\text{zeros at $u=\dfrac 1 2,~4$} \\
\text{so zeros of original function at $x=\ln(1/2),~\ln(4)$}$

Now see if you can finish.

Reactions: TehPingwin
Nov 2019
???
[...]
Now see if you can finish.
I was dreading it would be something as simple as this substitution. I still didn't see it so maybe not that trivial afterall. Thank you! It was rather easy from then on and my results match.