Integral domain question

SlipEternal

MHF Helper
Nov 2010
Let \(\displaystyle R,S\) be integral domains of characteristic zero. Let \(\displaystyle K\) be the minimal field extension containing \(\displaystyle \text{Fr}(R)\) and \(\displaystyle \text{Fr}(S)\) as subfields. Does there exist an integral domain \(\displaystyle T\) such that \(\displaystyle K = \text{Fr}(T)\) with \(\displaystyle R\) and \(\displaystyle S\) are both subrings of \(\displaystyle T\)?

Deveno

MHF Hall of Honor
Mar 2011
Tejas
Well, sure, but it's probably not the answer you're looking for: clearly $K$ fits the bill.

What you are probably looking for is the sub-ring generated by $R$ and $S$ (I think you can characterize this ring as $\{r+s+r's':r,r' \in R, s,s' \in S\}$). Since this ring is contained in $K$ it has no zero-divisors, and is thus an integral domain. Since its field of fractions is contained in any field that contains it, $\text{Fr}(\langle R\cup S\rangle) \subseteq K$.

Since this field of fractions also contains $R$ and $S$, it must also contain $\text{Fr}(R),\text{Fr}(S)$, and by the minimality of $K$, it must BE $K$.

Reactions: 1 person

SlipEternal

MHF Helper
Nov 2010
Excellent! Thank you! I had been looking through old notes from my Ring Theory class, and remembering my professor writing so fast, I couldn't pay attention to him and copy what he was writing at the same time. I feel like I learned so little in that class. One of these years, I want to go back and try to relearn it all.