Improper Integral

May 2010
The problem is:

Determine whether the integral is divergent or convergent. If it is convergent, evaluate it.

Since I don't know how to use the nice equation system, I'll write it in words. It is the integral of 9 divided by the 8th root of (x-5) with left bound of 5 and right bound of 9.

I ended up with (72*4^(7/8))/7, but it's wrong. I can't for the life of me figure out why, so if anyone could post how to get the solution, that would be wonderful.

mr fantastic

MHF Hall of Fame
Dec 2007
Zeitgeist
The problem is:

Determine whether the integral is divergent or convergent. If it is convergent, evaluate it.

Since I don't know how to use the nice equation system, I'll write it in words. It is the integral of 9 divided by the 8th root of (x-5) with left bound of 5 and right bound of 9.

I ended up with (72*4^(7/8))/7, but it's wrong. I can't for the life of me figure out why, so if anyone could post how to get the solution, that would be wonderful.
Since you don't show how you ended up with your answer, none of us can figure out why you got it wrong either. The correct answer is here: integrate 9/(x - 5)^(1/8) from x = 5 to x = 9 - Wolfram|Alpha