I have been having trouble on this problem and would really appreciate some help

Feb 2016
Cali
I've been trying to work through this problem for hours and I am not sure on how to go about solving this problem.
Some help would be extremely appreciated.

" Show the two synthetic division "lines" for the integral values on either side of the upper real zero of f(x)=x3-9x2-x-5 "

I have tried dividing the equation synthetically by using the possible rational roots: +1,-1,+5, and -5 and each of these give me a remainder, I am so lost currently and would really appreciate some help :)

---
Lorynn

chiro

MHF Helper
Sep 2012
Australia
Hey Lorynn.

What do you mean by synthetic division lines? Are you just trying to factor the polynomial?

Feb 2016
Cali
I'm not exactly sure, that is word for word how the problem was worded and I am not exactly sure on what is meant.

Plato

MHF Helper
Aug 2006
I'm not exactly sure, that is word for word how the problem was worded and I am not exactly sure on what is meant.
I fear that you are at the mercy of a local set of definitions that are not in general use.

Dec 2013
Colombia
The real root is at \(\displaystyle x \approx 9.2\). I don't know from the question how you are expected to find that though (other than trial and error).

chiro

MHF Helper
Sep 2012
Australia
There is a formula for finding the roots of cubics.

Have you covered this?

skeeter

MHF Helper
Jun 2008
North Texas
" Show the two synthetic division "lines" for the integral values on either side of the upper real zero of f(x)=x3-9x2-x-5 "
This may be an example of locating the zero of a polynomial using the Intermediate Value Theorem.

In the old days "BC" (before calculators), one method to localize a zero of a polynomial was to use synthetic division for integral values of x, looking for a sign change in the remainder.

In this example, for integral values of $x\le 9$, $f(x) < 0$, and for integral values of $x \ge 10$, $f(x) > 0$.

Since f(x) is continuous over its domain, the Intermediate Value Theorem says that a zero for f(x) must exist in the interval $9 < x < 10$.

Last edited: