help with convolution proof

Apr 2009
Hey MHF i need some help with this proof.

If\(\displaystyle f(g)= t^m\) and \(\displaystyle g(t)= t^n\), where m and n are positive integers, show that:

\(\displaystyle (f*g)(t)= t^{m+n+1} \int_0^1 \! u^m(1-u)^n \, du.\)

show : \(\displaystyle \int_0^1 \! u^m(1-u)^n \, du = \frac{m!n!}{(m+n+1)!}\)

Prove It

MHF Helper
Aug 2008
The Binomial Theorem and the fact you can switch integral and summation signs should help you for this one.

Are \(\displaystyle m\) and \(\displaystyle n\) positive integers? I assume so since your answer involves factorials...

Reactions: silencecloak

Drexel28

MHF Hall of Honor
Nov 2009
Berkeley, California

If\(\displaystyle f(g)= t^m\) and \(\displaystyle g(t)= t^n\), where m and n are positive integers, show that:

I suppose you don't know that \(\displaystyle \int_0^1 u^m(1-u)^ndu=\beta(m+1,n+1)?\).

Beta function - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

simplependulum

MHF Hall of Honor
Jan 2009

Use integration by parts \(\displaystyle n \) times ,

\(\displaystyle \int_0^1 \! u^m(1-u)^n \, du \)

\(\displaystyle = \left[ \frac{ u^{m+1} }{m+1} (1-u)^n \right]_0^1 + \frac{n}{m+1} \int_0^1 u^{m+1} (1-u)^{n-1}~du\)

\(\displaystyle = \frac{n}{m+1} \int_0^1 u^{m+1} (1-u)^{n-1}~du \)

\(\displaystyle = \frac{n(n-1)}{(m+1)(m+2)} \int_0^1 u^{m+2} (1-u)^{n-2}~du\)

\(\displaystyle = ... = \frac{n(n-1)...1}{(m+1)(m+2)(m+3)...(m+n)} \int_0^1 u^{m+n}~du \)

\(\displaystyle = \frac{n!}{(m+1)(m+2)(m+3)...(m+n)(m+n+1)} \)

\(\displaystyle = \frac{m! n!}{m! (m+1)(m+2)(m+3)...(m+n)(m+n+1)} \)

\(\displaystyle = \frac{m! n!}{(m+n+1)!} \)

May 2008
May 2008
It really looks like the first part of the proof is something with the Gamma function, but I can't pinpoint it.

Been staring at it for 3 days now :/

Edit: is the explanation of the beta function i commented on correct?

For the first part:

\(\displaystyle
(f*g)(t)= \int_0^t \! \tau^m(t-\tau)^n \, d\tau.
\)

I have been playing with the fact that \(\displaystyle \Gamma \left( x +1\right) = x\Gamma \left( x \right)\) and using that with an integral proof I found, but to no avail.

I am also not sure how the \(\displaystyle \tau \) and integrals limits get changed between the two steps. I know \(\displaystyle u \) and \(\displaystyle \tau \) are just symbols...so maybe they are just changed for the sake of being changed. Throwing me off because my teacher has never used u for those problems

Last edited:
Apr 2009
To prove (a) can we use the result that

with \(\displaystyle u= \tau\) and\(\displaystyle t=1\) ?

Drexel28

MHF Hall of Honor
Nov 2009
Berkeley, California
It really looks like the first part of the proof is something with the Gamma function, but I can't pinpoint it.

Been staring at it for 3 days now :/

Edit: is the explanation of the beta function i commented on correct?

For the first part:

\(\displaystyle
(f*g)(t)= \int_0^t \! \tau^m(t-\tau)^n \, d\tau.
\)

I have been playing with the fact that \(\displaystyle \Gamma \left( x +1\right) = x\Gamma \left( x \right)\) and using that with an integral proof I found, but to no avail.

I am also not sure how the \(\displaystyle \tau \) and integrals limits get changed between the two steps. I know \(\displaystyle u \) and \(\displaystyle \tau \) are just symbols...so maybe they are just changed for the sake of being changed. Throwing me off because my teacher has never used u for those problems
[It is the gamma function! Like I said your integral is equal to \(\displaystyle B(m+1,n+1)=\frac{\Gamma(n+1)\Gamma(m+1)}{\Gamma(n+1+m+1)}=\frac{m!n!}{(m+n+1)!}\)

May 2008
[It is the gamma function! Like I said your integral is equal to \(\displaystyle B(m+1,n+1)=\frac{\Gamma(n+1)\Gamma(m+1)}{\Gamma(n+1+m+1)}=\frac{m!n!}{(m+n+1)!}\)
I'm sorry Drexel. I was referring to the first part of the problem. It's not very easy to see due to how the post was formatted. Thanks for your help with part A though!(Rofl)

Part A:

show that:

\(\displaystyle (f*g)(t)= t^{m+n+1} \int_0^1 \! u^m(1-u)^n \, du\)

Last edited:
Similar Math Discussions Math Forum Date
Math Software
Calculus
Calculus
Calculus