Given a vector starting point P = (-2,3) and ending at the point Q = (5,-1)

May 2018
California
Given a vector starting point P = (-2,3) and ending at the point Q = (5,-1), find the x and y components. How do i solve this

SlipEternal

MHF Helper
Nov 2010
Vectors do not start or end at specific points. It is a poor question. Now, the vector in the direction of the ray going from P to Q with magnitude the distance between the points has x-component $(5-(-2))\hat{i}=7\hat{i}$ and y-component $(-1-3)\hat{j}=-4\hat{j}$

Plato

MHF Helper
Aug 2006
Given a vector starting point P = (-2,3) and ending at the point Q = (5,-1), find the x and y components. How do i solve this
So x=7 and y=-4?
It hard to know what you need.
The vector $\overrightarrow {PQ} = <5-(-2),(-1)-3>=<7,-4>$ so that the line is $<-2+7t,3-4t>$

This is usually said to be is parametric form: $\left\{ \begin{array}{l}x(t)=-2+7t\\y(t)=3-4t\end{array} \right.$

NOTE $P: (x(0),y(0))~\&~Q: (x(1),y(1))$

SlipEternal

MHF Helper
Nov 2010
So x=7 and y=-4?
Are you a sports fan? Imagine someone asks, "If someone is running down the court for a grand slam, how many touchdowns do they get?" The words are all relevant to various sports, but together, it just does not make any sense. That is the case with your questions. I have no idea what you are asking because you are mixing too many different math concepts for me to understand exactly what you are looking for. If you are looking for a vector, then it does not have an x and y component. A point has an x and y coordinate. On the other hand, if you mean the vector in the direction of the ray starting at the origin and going through the point $(7,-4)$ with magnitude equal to the distance between those two points, then the answer is yes.