Geometric distributions.

Dec 2015
Worcester, UK
Question I am struggling on is attached.

I can do all the questions bar the last one; apparently, P(X=3) (where X has a geometric distribution) is incorrect. I can't really see why this is as P(X=3) is defined as 'the probability of failing two times and then having a success on the third trial." Why isn't this the answer?

Thanks.

Attachments

romsek

MHF Helper
Nov 2013
California
There are two levels of probability going on in the last problem.

First we have to compute on a given day the probability of lighting the fire in under 4 attempts.

This probability generates a new distribution for the probability of being able to light the fire in 4 attempts on the kth day.

The first probability is just the CDF of the geometric distribution with parameter 1/3 evaluated at k=3.

I'll leave you to show that this is $p=\dfrac {63}{81}$

Now using this $p$ we find the probability that we succeed in lighting the fire in under 4 tries on the 3rd day.

This is just $(1-p)^2 p = \dfrac{16640}{531441}$

Dec 2015
Worcester, UK
Thanks, but - I forgot to mention this in my post, my bad - I knew that using P(X>4) and letting this equal p and then doing \(\displaystyle (1-p)^{2}p\) will result in the answer, but I don't understand why just calculating P(X=3) doesn't work.

romsek

MHF Helper
Nov 2013
California
because P(X=3) is the probability that on a given day it takes you 3 tries to light the stove, which isn't at all the same as what they are asking for.

Dec 2015
Worcester, UK
Hmm..

I'm struggling to see why spreading out the attempts over longer periods of time invalidates P(X=3).

romsek

MHF Helper
Nov 2013
California
Hmm..

I'm struggling to see why spreading out the attempts over longer periods of time invalidates P(X=3).
There is a small glitch in the language of the problem. I see where your confusion comes from.

The problem says Henry must light the fire once a day.

I interpret this as he must successfully light the fire. Not just attempt to light it. That means once a day he has to try to light the fire until successful.

You have interpreted this sentence as once a day he tries to light the fire, successful or not.

My solution is for the first case. Yours is for the second.

Reactions: 1 person
Dec 2015
Worcester, UK
OHHHHHHHHH... Thanks so much! You're right, I misread "Henry has to light the fire once a day" as "Henry has to attempt to light the fire once a day" (which, in hindsight, is ridiculous: why would he need to wait 24 hours before making another attempt!)

Last edited: