function over Z

Dec 2009
Is there any function f:Z->Z, with f(f(n))=-n for every integer n?

undefined

MHF Hall of Honor
Mar 2010
Chicago
Is there any function f:Z->Z, with f(f(n))=-n for every integer n?
I thought about this for a little while, and as far as I can tell the answer is yes:

\(\displaystyle f(n)=\begin{cases}2n\quad \ n\ \text{is odd} \\ -\frac{n}{2}\quad n\ \text{is even}\end{cases}\)

Ah, posted too soon. Obviously the above does not work when n is divisible by 4. The answer might be no.. I'll keep thinking about it.

undefined

MHF Hall of Honor
Mar 2010
Chicago
Well I'm not faring too well with this problem, but perhaps this will be of use: Assuming such function exists (which could be the start of a proof by contradiction, or the start of a way to find such an f), f(f(f(n))) can be thought of as either

Code:
f(  f(f(n))  ) = f(-n)   or   f(f(  f(n)  )) = -f(n)
So f(-n) = -f(n), meaning f(n) is an odd function.

Edits: Ah ok so I think the answer is yes, and there is a simple function we can define.

Here is how I got there.

Suppose f(n) = m.

Then from above we know f(-n) = -f(n) = -m.

We also know f(m) = -n.

And consequently f(-m) = n.

So we partition the integers into groups of four, basically, (not counting 0) and the simplest is {0}, {-2,-1,1,2}, {-4,-3,3,4}, ...

So we can write

\(\displaystyle f(n) = \begin{cases}0\quad\quad\quad\ \ n = 0 \\ n+1\quad\ \ n\ \text{odd and positive} \\ n-1\quad\ \ n\ \text{odd and negative} \\ -n+1\quad n\ \text{even and positive}\\-n-1 \quad n\ \text{even and negative}\end{cases}\)

which can probably be written in a much more concise manner, anyway that should do the trick.

Last edited:
Dec 2009
Yes, i found that f is an odd function and f(0)=0. But for the time being, i can't either prove that f does not exist, or find f, if it does exist. Another thing that may help is that if f(a)=b,
then f seems to send a -> b -> -a -> -b -> a.

undefined

MHF Hall of Honor
Mar 2010
Chicago
Please see my edited post above.

Dec 2009
I found a function like this too, but it's not an odd one, as f should be.

undefined

MHF Hall of Honor
Mar 2010
Chicago
I found a function like this too, but it's not an odd one, as f should be.
We can show \(\displaystyle f\) is odd as follows:

We need to show that \(\displaystyle f(n)=-f(-n)\). Consider 5 cases.

Case 1: \(\displaystyle n = 0\)

This is trivial.

Case 2: \(\displaystyle n\ \text{odd and positive}\)

\(\displaystyle f(n)=n+1\)

\(\displaystyle -f(-n)=-((-n)-1)=n+1\)

Cases 3-5: Similar.

Reactions: takis1881
Dec 2009
Yes, you're right!! I mistakenly considered f(-n)=-n+1. Thank you very much for your help!! Greetings from Greece.