Digamma Integral Representation

Apr 2010
Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how the integral representation of the Digamma function works.

I understand that the Digamma function is the logarithmic derivative of the Gamma function. Therefore

\(\displaystyle \Psi(z)=\frac{\Gamma'(z)}{\Gamma(z)}\)

Since \(\displaystyle \Gamma(z)=\int^\infty_0e^{-t}t^{z-1}dt\)

then I would think
\(\displaystyle \Gamma'(z)=\int^\infty_0e^{-t}t^{z-1}\ln(t)dt\)

Anyway, the integral expression for the Digamma function is given by

\(\displaystyle \Psi(z)=\int^\infty_0\frac{e^{-t}}{t}-\frac{e^{-zt}}{1-e^{-t}}dt\)

How would I derive this formula?
Should I instead look at another representation of the Gamma function and work with that?

Thank you.

chisigma

MHF Hall of Honor
Mar 2009
near Piacenza (Italy)
May be that the right way is starting from this 'infinite product'...

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{\Gamma(z)} = z \cdot e^{\gamma z} \cdot \prod_{n=1}^{\infty} (1+\frac{z}{n})\cdot e^{-\frac{z}{n}} \) (1)

Now compute the logarithm of (1), change sign, then differentiate...

Kind regards

\(\displaystyle \chi\) \(\displaystyle \sigma\)

Reactions: Anthonny

simplependulum

MHF Hall of Honor
Jan 2009
We have \(\displaystyle \ln(\frac{b}{a}) = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{ e^{-ax} - e^{-bx} }{x}~dx \)

Let \(\displaystyle a = 1 ~,~ b=t \)

Therefore ,

\(\displaystyle \Gamma'(z) = \int_0^{\infty} e^{-t} t^{z-1} \int_0^{\infty} \frac{ e^{-x} - e^{-tx} }{x}~dx dt\)

By reversing the order , we have

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \frac{1}{x} \int_0^{\infty} e^{-t} t^{z-1} ( e^{-x} - e^{-tx}) ~dtdx \)

Consider \(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} e^{-t} e^{-tx} t^{z-1}~dt\)

\(\displaystyle = \int_0^{\infty} e^{-(x+1)t}t^{z-1}~dt\)

Sub. \(\displaystyle (x+1)t = u \)

we find that it is equal to

\(\displaystyle \Gamma(z) \frac{1}{(x+1)^z}\)

Back to the derivative of Gamma function ,

If we continue we obtain

\(\displaystyle \Gamma(z) \int_0^{\infty}\frac{1}{x} \left[ e^{-x} - \frac{1}{(x+1)^z} \right] ~dx \)

Sub. \(\displaystyle x+1 = e^{u} \) for the second integral ,

we have \(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty}\frac{1}{x(x+1)^z}~dx = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{ e^{-zx} }{1 - e^{-x} }~dx \)

Therefore ,

\(\displaystyle \frac{ \Gamma'(z) }{\Gamma(z) } = \int_0^{\infty} \left(\frac{e^{-x}}{x} - \frac{ e^{-zx} }{1 - e^{-x} }\right)~dx\)

Edit: Here is what i guess , not sure if it is true .

If we differentiate w.r.t. \(\displaystyle z \) again , i find something interesting ...

\(\displaystyle \frac{ \Gamma(z) \Gamma''(z) - [\Gamma'(z)]^2 }{ \Gamma^2(z)}= \int_0^{\infty} \frac{ x e^{-zx}}{ 1 - e^{-x} } ~dx \)

Sub. \(\displaystyle z = 1 \) , from L.H.S , giving

\(\displaystyle \Gamma''(1)- [\Gamma'(1)]^2 \)

Since \(\displaystyle \Gamma'(1) = - \gamma \) , what it gives us is also equal to \(\displaystyle \Gamma''(1)- \gamma^2 \) , while from R.H.S we have

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \frac{x}{ e^x - 1}~dx = \Gamma(2) \zeta(2) = \frac{\pi^2}{6} \) so is that ture

\(\displaystyle \Gamma''(1) = \gamma^2 + \frac{\pi^2}{6} \) ?

This method might be a way to obtain \(\displaystyle \Gamma^{(n)}(1) \) by differentiating the integral \(\displaystyle n-1\) times without a great detour ...

Last edited:
Apr 2010
Sub. \(\displaystyle x+1 = e^{u} \) for the second integral ,

we have \(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty}\frac{1}{x(x+1)^z}~dx = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{ e^{-zx} }{1 - e^{-x} }~dx \)

Therefore ,

\(\displaystyle \frac{ \Gamma'(z) }{\Gamma(z) } = \int_0^{\infty} \left(\frac{e^{-x}}{x} - \frac{ e^{-zx} }{1 - e^{-x} }\right)~dx\)
Thank you!

I basically understand the whole proof until this part.
I'm not quite sure how this substitution works out into that integral.

As for this at the end of your post:

\(\displaystyle \Gamma''(1) = \gamma^2 + \frac{\pi^2}{6}\)

It all seems correct. It's pretty interesting seeing the \(\displaystyle \zeta(2)\) in there.

Again thank you.

simplependulum

MHF Hall of Honor
Jan 2009
Thank you!

I basically understand the whole proof until this part.
I'm not quite sure how this substitution works out into that integral.

As for this at the end of your post:

\(\displaystyle \Gamma''(1) = \gamma^2 + \frac{\pi^2}{6}\)

It all seems correct. It's pretty interesting seeing the \(\displaystyle \zeta(2)\) in there.

Again thank you.
Let me see ...

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty}\frac{1}{x(x+1)^z}~dx = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{ e^{-zx} }{1 - e^{-x} }~dx \)

Sub. \(\displaystyle x + 1 = e^u \)

\(\displaystyle dx = e^u du \)

the bound changes to \(\displaystyle (0,\infty)\)

so it is equal to

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \frac{ 1}{ (e^u - 1) (e^u)^z } (e^u du)\)

\(\displaystyle = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{ e^{-zu}}{ e^u - 1 } (e^u du) \)

\(\displaystyle = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{ e^{-zu}}{ e^u ( 1- e^{-u}) } (e^u du) \)

\(\displaystyle = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{ e^{-zu} }{ 1- e^{-u} }~du\)

Then change the "dummy" variable

\(\displaystyle = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{ e^{-zx} }{ 1- e^{-x} }~dx \)

(Happy)

To have a more formal proof , i think we need to show that

\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} [\frac{e^{-x}}{x} - \frac{1}{x(x+1)^z}]~dx\)

\(\displaystyle = \int_0^{\infty} [\frac{e^{-x}}{x} - \frac{ e^{-zx}}{ 1 - e^{-x}}]~dx\)

because the integral \(\displaystyle \int_0^{\infty} \frac{e^{-x}}{x} ~dx \) is divergent .

Last edited:
Apr 2010
\(\displaystyle = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{ e^{-zx} }{ 1- e^{-x} }~dx \)

(Happy)
Thanks! I think I just overlooked the substitution process. I completely understand it now though.

Anyway, now I understand the integral representation for \(\displaystyle \Psi(z)\)

However, I have one more question (and this question is open to anyone). I want to see how

\(\displaystyle \Psi(z)=H_{n-1}-\gamma\)

Where \(\displaystyle H_{n}\) are the Harmonic numbers and \(\displaystyle \gamma\) is the Euler-Mascheroni constant.

I want to derive this relationship using the integral representation of the Digamma function. I tried doing substitution, but I'm stuck. Here is my work so far:

For

\(\displaystyle \Psi(x)=\int_0^{\infty} [\frac{e^{-t}}{t} - \frac{ e^{-xt}}{ 1 - e^{-t}}]~dt\)

Let \(\displaystyle u=e^{-t}\), therefore \(\displaystyle -\ln(u)=t\) and \(\displaystyle -\frac{1}{u}du=dt\)

Substituting, I get

\(\displaystyle \int^0_1 [\frac{u}{-\ln(u)}-\frac{e^{-x\ln(u)}}{1-u}][-\frac{1}{u}]du\)

which simplifies to

\(\displaystyle -\int^1_0 [\frac{1}{\ln(u)}+\frac{u^{-x}u^{-1}}{1-u}]du\)

I know that \(\displaystyle \gamma=\int^1_0 [\frac{1}{\ln(u)}+\frac{1}{1-u}du\)

However, I'm not sure what to do from here. I also know the integral representation for the Harmonic numbers is given by:

\(\displaystyle H_n=\int^1_0 \frac{1-x^n}{1-x}dx\), but I don't see that occurring in the integral.

Of course, my substitution might not be the right choice. The main thing to do is to get from the Digamma integral representation into a form in which the Harmonic integral representation and an integral representing \(\displaystyle \gamma\) arises.

Thank you.(Happy)

Last edited:
Reactions: simplependulum

simplependulum

MHF Hall of Honor
Jan 2009
You have done a great job !

Your substitution is perfect (Clapping) !

so \(\displaystyle -\gamma = \Psi(1) = \int_0^{\infty} [\frac{e^{-t}}{t} - \frac{ e^{-t}}{ 1 - e^{-t}}]~ dt \)

Also \(\displaystyle H_n = \int_0^1 \frac{1 - x^n}{1-x}~dx \)

We need to make a further substitution ,

\(\displaystyle x = e^{-t} \)

\(\displaystyle dx = -e^{-t}~dt\)

\(\displaystyle H_n = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{1 - e^{-nt}}{1 - e^{-t}} e^{-t}~dt\)

\(\displaystyle = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{e^{-t} - e^{-(n+1)t}}{1 - e^{-t}}~dt\)

Therefore ,

\(\displaystyle H_n - \gamma = \int_0^{\infty} \frac{e^{-t} - e^{-(n+1)t}}{1 - e^{-t}}~dt + \int_0^{\infty} [\frac{e^{-t}}{t} - \frac{ e^{-t}}{ 1 - e^{-t}}]~ dt \)

\(\displaystyle = \int_0^{\infty} [\frac{ e^{-t}}{t} - \frac{e^{-(n+1)t}}{1 - e^{-t}}]~dx\)

\(\displaystyle = \Psi(n+1) \) !!

Or \(\displaystyle \Psi(n) = H_{n-1} - \gamma \)

\(\displaystyle n > 1\)

Apr 2010
\(\displaystyle = \Psi(n+1) \) !!

Or \(\displaystyle \Psi(n) = H_{n-1} - \gamma \)

\(\displaystyle n > 1\)

Thanks!

I see how to apply the substitution even further and understand your explanation.

Thanks on the help on the Digamma function.