SOLVED Differentiability.

Dec 2009
Hi everyone,

Supppose f is a even differentiable function in R (real numbers). Then f ' is an odd function. But what can we say about the differentiability of f ' ?

Since we don't know the exsistance of \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow{c}}\frac{f '(x)-f '(c)}{x-c}\) for all \(\displaystyle c\in{R}\) we cannot tell anything about the differentiability of f ' is'nt ?

Your ideas are welcome......

Last edited:

Drexel28

MHF Hall of Honor
Nov 2009
Berkeley, California
Hi everyone,

Supppose f is a even differentiable function in R (real numbers). Then f ' is an odd function. But what can we say about the differentiability of f '' ?

Since we don't know the exsistance of \(\displaystyle \lim_{x\rightarrow{c}}\frac{f '(x)-f '(c)}{x-c}\) for all \(\displaystyle c\in{R}\) we cannot tell anything about the differentiability of f '' is'nt ?

Your ideas are welcome......
You can't say anything.

Reactions: Sudharaka
Dec 2009
You can't say anything.
Dear Drexel28,

Thanks for the reply. However I have noticed that I had made a typo in my original post hence I corrected it. I want to know about the differentiability of f ' not f ''.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Drexel28

MHF Hall of Honor
Nov 2009
Berkeley, California
Dear Drexel28,

Thanks for the reply. However I have noticed that I had made a typo in my original post hence I corrected it. I want to know about the differentiability of f ' not f ''.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
My response still stands. Just because \(\displaystyle f\) is even or odd and it's differentiable does not mean it's twice differentiable.

Reactions: Sudharaka