Converting from Individual probability to Household probability

May 2010
I think this is basic, but I just can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated...

There is a 65% chance that each individual likes Product A.

For a household of 2 individuals, what is the chance that someone in the household likes Product A?

For a household of 3?

I would appreciate the formula in addition to the answer if possible. Thank you very much for your help.

mr fantastic

MHF Hall of Fame
Dec 2007
Zeitgeist
I think this is basic, but I just can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated...

There is a 65% chance that each individual likes Product A.

For a household of 2 individuals, what is the chance that someone in the household likes Product A?

For a household of 3?

I would appreciate the formula in addition to the answer if possible. Thank you very much for your help.
Let X be the random variable 'number of individuals in household who like product A'.

X ~ Binomial(n = total number of individuals in household, p = 0.65).

Calculate 1 - Pr(X = 0).

May 2010
Thank you for pointing me in the direction of binomial distributions!

I think I figured out that in order for me to get the total probability for the household, I must use that formula for each member of the household, and add up the results. For instance, for a 3 person household my excel formula looks like:
=BINOMDIST(1,3,.65,FALSE) +
BINOMDIST(2,3,.65,FALSE) +
BINOMDIST(3,3,.65,FALSE)

(The format for the BINOMDIST formula in Excel is
BINOMDIST(number_s, trials, probability_s, cumulative)
Where number_s = the number of successes in trials,
trials = the number of independent trials,
Probability_s = probability of success,
Cumulative - When FALSE returns probability that there are number_s successes.)

This method returns these results for the given number of individuals in the household:
1 = .65
2 = .87
3 = .95
4 = .98
5 = .99

This "looks" right to me, but have I missed something? Thanks for your help.

awkward

MHF Hall of Honor
Mar 2008
Hi RogBear62,

It is not necessary to add up the various binomial probabilities to get the answer. If you re-read Mr. F's solution, you will see he gave your a simpler method.

Here is another route to the same answer, which maybe you will better understand. Let's say there are n people in the household, each of whom likes the product with probability 0.65. To find the probability that at least one person likes the product, consider the complementary problem: What is the probability that no one likes the product? This happens with probability \(\displaystyle 0.35^n\). So the probability that at least one person likes the product is

\(\displaystyle 1 - 0.35^n\).

Note that this ASSUMES that each person's likes/dislikes are statistically independent. The same assumption is necessary for Mr. F's solution. In the Real World, this is unlikely.

Last edited:
Reactions: mr fantastic