Compute the 9th derivative

s3a

Nov 2008
How do I do this the way I am supposed to? (without differentiating 9 times)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

Jester

MHF Helper
Dec 2008
Conway AR

Thanks in advance!
Use the hint. The Taylor series for \(\displaystyle \tan^{-1}x\) is

\(\displaystyle
\tan^{-1}x = x - \frac{x^3}{3} + \frac{x^5}{5} - \frac{x^7}{7} + \cdots.
\)

Subs in for \(\displaystyle x \rightarrow \frac{x^3}{4}\). You really only need to consider powers up to \(\displaystyle x^9\).

Reactions: s3a

skeeter

MHF Helper
Jun 2008
North Texas

Thanks in advance!
did you use the hint?

\(\displaystyle f(x) = \arctan\left(\frac{x^3}{4}\right) = \frac{x^3}{4} - \frac{x^9}{4^3 \cdot 3} + \frac{x^{15}}{4^5 \cdot 5} - \frac{x^{21}}{4^7 \cdot 7} + ...\)

\(\displaystyle f^{(9)}(0) = -\frac{9!}{4^3 \cdot 3}\)

s3a

Nov 2008
For arctan(x) I get = sigma from 0 to inf of (-x^(2n)) which gives - x - x^3 /3 - x^5 /5 etc without the alternating. What did I do wrong so far? I did d/dx arctan(x) = 1/(1-(-x^2)) then integrate the sum.

skeeter

MHF Helper
Jun 2008
North Texas
For arctan(x) I get = sigma from 0 to inf of (-x^(2n)) which gives - x - x^3 /3 - x^5 /5 etc without the alternating. What did I do wrong so far? I did d/dx arctan(x) = 1/(1-(-x^2)) then integrate the sum.
\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{1-r} = 1 + r + r^2 + r^3 + ...\)

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{1-(-x^2)} = 1 + (-x^2) + (-x^2)^2 + (-x^2)^3 + ... = 1 - x^2 + x^4 - x^6 + ...\)

s3a

Nov 2008
Ok I see how to get the summation of arctan(x^3 /4) but then I don't know what to do. Do I just write down the polynomials up to the x^9 power and do something there? What about f^(n) (a) x^n /n! formula ? What I was trying to do before my current attempt was to just do the summation of f^(n) (a) x^n /n! and to replace f^(n) with it's appropriate algebraic expression but it was tough to compute the second derivative and on.

Sorry for being stupid :(

Jan 2010
So you're OK with this, correct?

\(\displaystyle f(x) = \arctan \left(\frac{x^3}{4}\right) = \frac{x^3}{4} - \frac{x^9}{4^3 \cdot 3} + \frac{x^{15}}{4^5 \cdot 5} - \frac{x^{21}}{4^7 \cdot 7} + \cdots\)

Now, consider what happens when you take 9 derivatives of this expression.

The first term \(\displaystyle \frac{x^3}{4}\) will eventually become zero (beyond 3 derivatives).

The second term \(\displaystyle -\frac{x^9}{4^3 \cdot 3}\) will become a constant. What constant does it become?

The remaining terms will turn into the form \(\displaystyle C \cdot x^n\) where \(\displaystyle C\) is a constant and \(\displaystyle n\) is a positive integer. When you substitute \(\displaystyle x=0\) into a term of this form, does it make sense that these terms will all become zero?

Therefore, there is only one nonzero term, which is the second term.

s3a

Nov 2008
OMG! Yes, I get it now, thanks!

Similar Math Discussions Math Forum Date
Advanced Algebra
Calculus
Algebra
Advanced Algebra