Complex number question

Jun 2009
Hi there, I'm having trouble with the following question. As usual, I'm probably missing something basic...

If \(\displaystyle z=1+\sqrt{3}i\) is a solution to the equation \(\displaystyle z^3-a=0,\ a\in\ c\) then the other two solutions are?

I know one of them must be \(\displaystyle z=1-\sqrt{3}i\) as the coefficient of \(\displaystyle z^3\) is real. But I'm not sure how to find the last solution.
From the options (mc question) it seems that it's either \(\displaystyle z=2\) or \(\displaystyle z=-2\).

Thanks for your help :)

Prove It

MHF Helper
Aug 2008
Hi there, I'm having trouble with the following question. As usual, I'm probably missing something basic...

If \(\displaystyle z=1+\sqrt{3}i\) is a solution to the equation \(\displaystyle z^3-a=0,\ a\in\ c\) then the other two solutions are?

I know one of them must be \(\displaystyle z=1-\sqrt{3}i\) as the coefficient of \(\displaystyle z^3\) is real. But I'm not sure how to find the last solution.
From the options (mc question) it seems that it's either \(\displaystyle z=2\) or \(\displaystyle z=-2\).

Thanks for your help :)
Complex solutions always appear as conjugates.

So if \(\displaystyle z = 1 + \sqrt{3}i\) is a solution, so is \(\displaystyle \overline{z} = 1 - \sqrt{3}i\).

That means \(\displaystyle z - (1 + \sqrt{3}i)\) and \(\displaystyle z - (1 - \sqrt{3}i)\) are both factors, and so is

\(\displaystyle [z - (1 + \sqrt{3}i)][z - (1 - \sqrt{3}i)]\)

\(\displaystyle =z^2 - z(1 - \sqrt{3}i) - z(1 + \sqrt{3}i) + (1 - \sqrt{3}i)(1 + \sqrt{3}i)\)

\(\displaystyle = z^2 - z + \sqrt{3}iz - z - \sqrt{3}iz + 1 + 3\)

\(\displaystyle = z^2 - 2z + 4\).

Since \(\displaystyle z^2 - 2z + 4\) is a factor, long divide \(\displaystyle z^3 - a\) by \(\displaystyle z^2 - 2z + 4\) and you will have the third factor. You should note that the third root will need to be real.

Once you have the third factor, you can find \(\displaystyle a\).

Reactions: Stroodle