circle geometry help 4

May 2010
What do you specifically do not understand?
i have trouble giving the reasons in circle geometry can you or somebody else help me.its just question 3d

Last edited:
Jun 2009
i have trouble giving the reasons in circle geometry can you or somebody else help me.its just question 3d
When the two chords Ab and CD intersect each other at E, they satisfy the following condition.

\(\displaystyle \frac{AE}{EB} = \frac{CE}{ED}\) .............(1)

AE = 4, AB = 7. So EB = ...?

CD = l, ED = x, so CE = ...?

Substitute these values in equation (1) and simplify.

The equation obtained is

\(\displaystyle x^2 - lx + 12 = 0.\) Or

\(\displaystyle l = x + \frac{12}{x}\)

To get the minimum length of the chord CD, find dl/dx and equate it to zero. Then solve for x. Substitute this value in eq.(1) to find CF, then find CD.

May 2010
When the two chords Ab and CD intersect each other at E, they satisfy the following condition.

The equation obtained is

To get the minimum length of the chord CD, find dl/dx and equate it to zero. Then solve for x. Substitute this value in eq.(1) to find CF, then find CD.
im really sorry about this but im not sure what to do im not very good at circle geometry because my teacher was absent for most of this whole topic and know i have a test about it, again im really sorry can you explain it abit more.

Jun 2009
im really sorry about this but im not sure what to do im not very good at circle geometry because my teacher was absent for most of this whole topic and know i have a test about it, again im really sorry can you explain it abit more.
Open any text book and find the properties of the circle. For that there is no need of any teacher.

May 2010

The equation obtained is

EB=3 how can you get CE when theres 2 unknowns the fraction would just be 4/3=CE/X

May 2010
CE = CD - ED = (l - x)
ok so 4/3=(l-x)/x
cross multiply
4x=3(l-x)
4x=3l-3x
4x+3x=3l
7x=3l
x=3l/7

now do i sub this answer into the 2nd equation that you said

Last edited:
Dec 2007