Beginning calc 3 problem

May 2010
I have a chart of temps(independent variable) and wind speed(independent variable) which give a wind chill factor (dependent variable). I have a question that gives a temp and windchill, and asks what wind speed would make that possible. I know this is a simple problem, but it has been eluding me for long enough. Thanks in advance!

undefined

MHF Hall of Honor
Mar 2010
Chicago
I have a chart of temps(independent variable) and wind speed(independent variable) which give a wind chill factor (dependent variable). I have a question that gives a temp and windchill, and asks what wind speed would make that possible. I know this is a simple problem, but it has been eluding me for long enough. Thanks in advance!
It's hard to answer this question without more details. It seems from context we are dealing with a function \(\displaystyle f:\mathbb{R} \times \mathbb{R} \rightarrow \mathbb{R}\), which you may recognize more in terms of \(\displaystyle z = f(x,y)\).

Maybe it's something simple, such as this example in which we have a table of x and f(x)
Code:
x  f(x)

1  2
2  6
4  15
5  39
And we're given that f(x) = 10, so what integer can x be? Then we would reasonably choose x = 3, since f(x) appears to be increasing.