Arithmetic Series Word Problem (Analysis)

Sep 2015
Ohio
Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right section for this question, so if not please redirect me to the correct subforum. :)

Q: There are k animal feeding stations arranged in a line with a supply hut. The stations are s yards apart and the nearest is t yards from the hut. An attendant carries n bags of feed, one at a time, to each feeding station. How far will he have traveled when he arrives back at the hut after servicing all stations?

Here's what I did, but I don't know if it's correct: (S.k denotes 'S of k')

S.k=(2t + 2(t+s)+...+2(t+(k-1)s))n
= n((k/2)(2(2t)+(k-1)2s))
= n((k(4t+2sk-2s))/(2))
= n((4kt+2sk^2-2sk)/(2))
= n(kt+sk^2+sk)
= nk(t+sk+s) yards

romsek

MHF Helper
Nov 2013
California
I get

$2 n t + 2n(s+t) + 2n(2s+t) + \dots 2n((k-1) s + t) = 2 n t k+2 n s \displaystyle{\sum_{j=1}^{k-1}}j = 2 n t k + 2 n s \dfrac {k(k-1)}{2}=2 n k \left(t + \dfrac{s(k-1)}{2}\right)$

Reactions: 1 person
Sep 2015
Ohio
Thanks! I don't exactly understand the method you used to get your answer, but using your answer I was able to see the mistake in my own work that–when corrected–gave me a solution identical to yours.

romsek

MHF Helper
Nov 2013
California
the main thing is

$\displaystyle {\sum_{j=1}^{k-1}}j =\dfrac {k(k-1)}{2}$

It looks like you set the problem up correctly. We both start from the same basic equation.

Sep 2015
Ohio
I see.

This may be a stupid question, but the answer could also be simplified to:

nk(2t+s(k-1))

Is one answer somehow 'more' correct than the other one, or are both answers equally acceptable?

Thanks for your help. :)

romsek

MHF Helper
Nov 2013
California
I see.

This may be a stupid question, but the answer could also be simplified to:

nk(2t+s(k-1))

Is one answer somehow 'more' correct than the other one, or are both answers equally acceptable?

Thanks for your help. :)
they are both the same answer.

Yours is a bit simpler than mine.