anyone else having trouble with LaTex today?

romsek

MHF Helper
Nov 2013
California
code strings that are interpreted just fine over at freemathhelp.com fail to be interpreted here.

Nothing fancy. Just \frac

ideas?

Soroban

MHF Hall of Honor
May 2006
Lexington, MA (USA)

Some commands work . . . others don't.

\(\displaystyle \frac{a}{b}\)

\(\displaystyle \sin2\theta\)

\(\displaystyle \cos x\)

\(\displaystyle x^3 = 8\)

\(\displaystyle \sqrt{a^2+b^2}\)

May 2011
I thought maybe I had an error in mine but then I thought this used to work maybe:

(1/2\sqrt{x})dx+(1/2\sqrt{y})dy=0

\(\displaystyle (1/2\sqrt{x})dx+(1/2\sqrt{y})dy=0\)

topsquark

Forum Staff
Jan 2006
Wellsville, NY
I thought maybe I had an error in mine but then I thought this used to work maybe:

(1/2\sqrt{x})dx+(1/2\sqrt{y})dy=0

\(\displaystyle (1/2\sqrt{x})dx+(1/2\sqrt{y})dy=0\)
The first two seem to be spacing problems:
\(\displaystyle (1/2 \sqrt{x} ) dx + (1/2 \sqrt{y} ) dy = 0\)

\(\displaystyle \sin 2 \theta\)

This one doesn't work with spacing.
\(\displaystyle x^3=8\)

It may be that LaTeX is having problems but you may be able to play around with spacings between commands to make it work. Is anyone else seeing this pattern?

-Dan

Oct 2009
Detroit
I'm having a ton of stupid problems with latex for no apparent reason. I've tried two different browsers, and I've run Firefox in safety mode with every add-on disabled.

If you look at the first line in both the message field and the preview field you'll notice that it's sometimes accepting input, in that it wont give me an invalid equation tag, but not actually doing anything to the text.

Attachments

Plato

MHF Helper
Aug 2006
I'm having a ton of stupid problems with latex for no apparent reason. I've tried two different browsers, and I've run Firefox in safety mode with every add-on disabled.

If you look at the first line in both the message field and the preview field you'll notice that it's sometimes accepting input, in that it wont give me an invalid equation tag, but not actually doing anything to the text.
This time it seems to be totally broken.

You can use this website to insert LaTeX. Texify - Online LaTeX equation writer, generates math formulas from LaTeX expressions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Oct 2009
Detroit
Why do you say that?
I had been coping and pasting from the website you linked. For some reason this website was stopping me from directly pasting.

It looks like this will work another way though.

Anyone know whats up with this? latex was a big advantage that I don't have access too...