A test of convergence.

Dec 2009
Russia
Let \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} b_k \), \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} a_k \) two series that \(\displaystyle a_k,b_k>0 \forall k \in \mathbb{N}\).

Suppose that, \(\displaystyle \forall k \in \mathbb{N}\) : \(\displaystyle a_k\leq|p(b_k)|\), when \(\displaystyle p\) is polynomial so that \(\displaystyle p(0)=0\).
Prove that if \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} b_k \) converges so then \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} a_k \) converges also.

Dec 2009
I'm not sure if this is of any help. But \(\displaystyle p(0) =0\) we have \(\displaystyle p(x)=x\cdot q(x)\) for some polynomial \(\displaystyle q\)

With the given condition we have: \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_k\leq \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}|p(b_k)|=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}b_k\cdot|g(b_k)| \)

I myself, I'm not yet sure how to proceed from here. But I assume we like to conclude somehow that from \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}b_k\) converges follows that
\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}b_k\cdot|g(b_k)|\) converges.

I'll think about this problem some more. Hopefully others have some more input for this problem.

Dec 2009
Russia
I'm not sure if this is of any help. But \(\displaystyle p(0) =0\) we have \(\displaystyle p(x)=x\cdot q(x)\) for some polynomial \(\displaystyle q\)

With the given condition we have: \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}a_k\leq \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}|p(b_k)|=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}b_k\cdot|g(b_k)| \)

I myself, I'm not yet sure how to proceed from here. But I assume we like to conclude somehow that from \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}b_k\) converges follows that
\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}b_k\cdot|g(b_k)|\) converges.

I'll think about this problem some more. Hopefully others have some more input for this problem.

Maybe, using the fact that \(\displaystyle \lim_{k\to\infty}b_k=0\), and from limit test:
\(\displaystyle \lim_{k\to\infty}\frac{b_kq(b_k)}{b_k}=0\)
We get the conclusion?

Dec 2009
Ah, yes! That's it, the limit comparison test:

Since \(\displaystyle \lim_{k\to\infty}\frac{q(b_k)b_k}{b_k}= \lim_{k\to\infty}q(b_k)=(*) q(\lim_{k\to\infty}b_k)=q(0)\)

(* by continuity of q)

And \(\displaystyle q(0)\) is some finite value since q is a polynomial. Therefore the series \(\displaystyle \sum_k b_k\) and \(\displaystyle \sum_{k}q(b_k)b_k\) must both converge or diverge. And there is your conclusion.

Last edited: