SOLVED 3D Unit Normal, Finding the 3rd Component

Jul 2010
Hi,
I'm trying to find the z component of a unit normal of a plane given the x and y components.

Since it's a unit normal I know that I have \(\displaystyle n_x^2 + n_y^2+n_z^2 = 1\), therefore, \(\displaystyle n_z = \sqrt{1 - n_x^2 - n_y^2}\).

This seems fine in testing, until a case where \(\displaystyle n_z\) should be negative, at which point the world breaks! Am I doing something stupid here? It's worth mentioning that I'm doing this as part of an image-plane to world-plane correction and as such don't have any coordinates of points on the world-plane itself. The only information I have is a set of image-plane coordinates.

Thanks!

Ackbeet

MHF Hall of Honor
Jun 2010
CT, USA
Actually, you must have \(\displaystyle n_{z}=\pm\sqrt{1-n_{x}^{2}-n_{y}^{2}}.\) Do you know ahead of time when you need the positive and when you need the negative?

Jul 2010
Sorry, I forgot the +/-. I don't unfortunately, this is my problem. I was wondering if there was some way I'd missed to determine the sign.

Given that I'm going to be using Broyden's method to approximate \(\displaystyle n_x\) and \(\displaystyle n_y \) as well as 2 other variables, I starting to think it might just be worth putting \(\displaystyle n_z\) in as a 5th variable to approximate.

Jul 2010
I just realised, \(\displaystyle n_z\) is going to be a half plane anyway, as you can't look behind the camera from a camera!